cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1220 upgrade to IOS created a back door?

DANIEL WANG
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded a 1220 IOS 12.2(13)JA3 and found that the web admin account created by the old Non-IOS web interface is still accessible through the web logon.

But the account itself is no where to be found in either IOS config file or Web admin.

How do I get rid of this web admin account?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

Did you check the bug tool kit if this is a known bug??

ctripp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you do a show run in your CLI does it show the username statement there?

Should look something like this normally towards the top of your conifguration.

hostname labap1100ip111

!

logging queue-limit 100

!

username admin privilege 15 password 7 xxxxxxxxxx

You can just do a config t

and no username admin should clear it

also you may want to do a wr mem on the CLI as the browser will not see entries normally posted to the running-config, it gets this information from the startup-config. See after the wr mem if you can see the account in the browser.

I've checked the bug tool using keywords like login, logon, admin, username but didn't find anything.

Like I said, there is no such admin logon existing in the config. Therefore the "no username" command couldn't do anything. The only local account there is a priv. level 1 account.

One thing I wanted to point out though, is that my co-work rename the default ADMIN account to something like "43RT^1R". I wonder whether the numerals in the beginning and the ^ cause the problem.

Does IOS allow local account beginning with numerals and special characters?

Thanks a lot!

As far as I know the only exception is wgere you waht to use "?"

So, for a 123?abc username you need to enter

CTRL-V

?

abc

You don't have to enter the CTRL-V afterwards.

Have you tried a default of the unit? You can use either the GUI, or the IOS (startup-config) or the MODE button.

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card