cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1242AG Password Reset not working

paulblakie
Level 4
Level 4

I have a 1242AG AP that I need to reset to factory defaults.  I have followed the procedures in the Cisco document (holding the mode button, etc.), but every time the AP still boots back into a config.  I've held down the mode button to take the AP to the boot menu, to manually delete the config file, and there is no config file listed in the flash. 

I think this AP might have an LWAPP load, and along the way I need to convert it back to autonomous, but all of the documentation for converting the AP that i can find pre-suppose that you have access to the CLI or web interface. Which, since i can't password reset the AP, I can't get that far. 

ARGH!

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can tell if the AP is lightweight by the model number... LAP1242 unless it was converted, then you will see the rcv image during bootup... Post your console output and we can tell you if its ios or not.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

paulblakie
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, it was converted.  It has an RCV image on it.  c1240-rcvk9w8-mx.

Okay, so you need a WLC to configure the AP.  If you want this ap to be standalone, you need to convert it back to IOS.  There is no password reset on a lightweight access point.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

paulblakie
Level 4
Level 4

That brings me back to the last part of my original question.  Since I can't get full access to the CLI, and I don't have a controller, how do I convert the AP back to autonomous?

how do I convert the AP back to autonomous?

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card