Views
Helpful
Replies

1532 point-to-multipoint configuration

khan300
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

need to know how to configure the 1532e AP's to a point to mulitpoint. We do not have a controller and will use them as autonomous. What configurations do I need to do on the AP and on the switch interfaces ? Can someone jot down the step by step configs through GUI?

THanks

35 Replies 35

I see, so if i want to use vlan 1 as native, I have to change the BVI address (managment IP) to a VLAN 1 IP range ? so the AP will be in VLAN 1 then. Likewise, if i want to put the AP in VLAN 251, I have to change the native VLAN to 251 as well as the BVI. I think we are good till here.

Now, the scenario is that I want to make VLAN 1 as native between the switch and AP, and want to put the AP's in VLAN 251. Is that possible ? If it is what will be the configuration. If its not then what is best practice? Do we put the AP's in native VLAN instead of a different VLAN like 251 ?

Thanks

You can't use vlan 251 as national be and also vlan 1 as untagged. This is the issue your facing. You either put the BVI on vlan 1 or if you want to use vlan 251 as management, then you can use vlan 1 for wireless clients so you would have to use vlan 2+ which is tagged vlans by default. 

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

Yup thats what I'm saying, Ill use the Native vlan ( whether its VLAN 1 or VLAN 251 ) with the BVI address in the Native VLAN range. Native Vlan is just to make the connection between the switch and the APs. You think I should put the three point-to-mulitpoint AP's in the Native vlan as well ? so this way I'll just have one VLAN and one sub interface.

Yeah.. It will be easier to manage then that way. 

-Scott 

-Scott

Ok so now would the below work ? its according to the link example you posted. SSID P2P will be for the point to multipoint linke and SSID NATIVE will be for the connectivity between the AP and the Switch which has a native vlan 1.

dot11 ssid P2P
   vlan 251
   authentication open
   infrastructure-ssid
!         
dot11 ssid NATIVE
   vlan 1
   authentication open
!
interface Dot11Radio0
 ssid P2P
 ssid NATIVE
 station-role root bridge wireless-clients
!
interface Dot11Radio0.1
 encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
 bridge-group 1
!
interface Dot11Radio0.251
 encapsulation dot1Q 251
 bridge-group 251
!
interface FastEthernet0.1
 encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
 bridge-group 1
!
interface FastEthernet0.110
 encapsulation dot1Q 251
 bridge-group 251
!
interface BVI1
 ip address 10.80.251.11 255.255.255.0 ( VLAN 251 range non-native)

ip default-gateway 10.180.251.1
!

On the switch side it would be :

interface G1/0/2
description Root-Bridge
switchport trunk native vlan 1
switchport mode trunk

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here are some other links that may help:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11538401/configuring-ap-point-multipoint-bridge

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/61936/autonomous-ap-and-bridge-basic-configuration-template

-Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card