cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1542 access points

F4ttie
Level 1
Level 1

We have a pair of 8540 controllers running 2200 access point on version 8.3.143.0 in HA mode.

All AP's operate in Flex connect mode.

We are in the process of swapping out  550 of 1142 access points in order to upgrade the code on the controllers.

At the same time we are installing 50+ 1542 outdoor access points, which has posed us with a conundrum.

That is, the 1542's are not supported below 8.5 code and the 1142's fall off above 8.3.143.0. The 1542 AP's talk to the 8540, see a code mismatch and disconnect.

We plan to use an old 5508 to host these devices with the appropriate code in the short term.

As the access point broadcast for the "Cisco-Capwap-controller" and get the DNS response for the 8540.

Can we via DHCP options DNS or otherwise respond only to the 1542 AP's in the short term pointing them to the temporary controller or do I just flip the DNS entry when I know the 1542 are looking?

I am waiting for a device to be powered to see if it is as simple as doing a TELNET to the device and changing the controller. I have not had a great deal of success with older external getting them to go into Flex Connect mode, having to physically touch each device.

I hope that my question makes sense and look forward to any response.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can use Option 43 to make the AP 1542 auto join to the 8540 WLC. 

Regards,
Sathiyanarayanan Ravindran

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

You can use Option 43 to make the AP 1542 auto join to the 8540 WLC. 

Regards,
Sathiyanarayanan Ravindran

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)

Wifi_Eshwar92
Level 1
Level 1
1142's will be on 5508 and 1542's on 8540? will they be on same vlans? if not, you can use option 43 in each vlan to make it register with respective wlcs.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card