cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1552E MAC Filtering Question

Dennis Kline
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of  1552e APs connected to a 5508 WLC.  We are using local MAC filtering to enable  the 1552's to connect to the WLC.

I have a several more 5508's in different locations, and can be used for back-up in the event the primary WLC fails.

I have the primary WLC, a secondary WLC and a tertiary WLC loaded into each the 1552's HA tab.

My question concerns the secondary and tertiary WLCs... do I have to load all the MAC addresses in each of those as well in order for the 1552's to connect  ?

If yes, is there an easy way to copy the local mac filtering from the primary WLC and load it into the other WLCs ?

If not, that's a lot of typing 

.....dennis.kline@yahoo.com...(It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yup, they need to exist anywhere that the AP could join.  As for the ease of adding them...NCS will allow you to push it as a template if you have it.

If not, you can do a show run-config commands from teh CLI, and then paste that piece of the config into the CLI of the other WLC.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yup, they need to exist anywhere that the AP could join.  As for the ease of adding them...NCS will allow you to push it as a template if you have it.

If not, you can do a show run-config commands from teh CLI, and then paste that piece of the config into the CLI of the other WLC.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Excellent.  Thanks, Steve

.....dennis.kline@yahoo.com...(It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber)

Just to add to Steve's great post .. I recently was labing a mesh design. I found that you can add the ap mac either to the mac filter list OR the ap policy list. Could come in handy ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

A follow up question....

Is there a correlation between MAC Filters and license count ?   Here's an example scenario

• I have 3 primary WLCs, each with 50 active 1552 APs
  • I have one back-up "secondary" WLC with a 100 AP license count. 
  • If I attempt to list all 150 MACs in the back-up, when it reaches 100 will it still allow me to list the remaining MACs, or is it going to reject the remaining because the back-up license count is only 100 APs ?

Dennis,

No your license is your license and doesnt impact MAC address. BUT, what you should know you have a limit as to how many mac addresses a controller can use. See my blog post on the subject

http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-cli-commands/2009/12/27/configure-local-mac-authentication-on-cisco-wlcs.html

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."