cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3602 not finding dhcp

AdamF1
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried multiple 3602 aps and get the same result. They are having trouble getting an ip and can't find the controller. I statically assigned an ip and directed it to wism2 ip. Still no go. That ap I didnt do a debug on the wism2 controller.
All aps are on a different subnet and option 43 is enabled but im currently working on getting it fixed as I dont think its set up right but it still should have connected when I entered ips.
Any advice???

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should setup dhcp on the same subnet as the WLC management. If you don't have a dhcp scope from a dhcp server, create one on the WiSM. Connect an ap on the same vlan as the WLC management and see if it joins. If not, console into the ap and look and post the output. The only other reason. It can be is if the ap had a mesh code in which you will see that in the output and you will need to add the Ethernet Mac address to the WLC Mac filter before it will join.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I understand Cisco says thats best practices but we have at least 30 different buildings and its impractical for us to trunk WLC mgmt across a network this large. Most of our IDF's are layer 3 closets.

Dear Adam

Same problem i faced recently. you just plug console cable into AP and post output of show flash:

Other thing you need to do is just assign static IP, default gateway and controller ip on the AP and then try to ping the controller.

Not sure what the Flash has do with it but here it is.

2  -rwx         185   Jan 1 1970 00:01:02 +00:00  env_vars

3  drwx           0   Jun 5 2013 20:52:04 +00:00  configs

4  -rwx        5144   Jun 5 2013 20:52:04 +00:00  private-multiple-fs

5  -rwx           0   Jun 5 2013 20:52:23 +00:00  config.txt

9  drwx         128   Jun 5 2013 20:51:05 +00:00  ap3g2-rcvk9w8-mx

I tried doing static again and pinged but no response. It failed to contact WLC and reverted to DHCP

and just spams

*Jun  5 21:00:33.039: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

*Jun  5 21:00:43.039: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

*Jun  5 21:00:53.039: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

Not in Bound state.

*Jun  5 21:01:03.039: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

*Jun  5 21:01:03.039: %CAPWAP-3-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC using DHCP IP. Renewing DHCP IP.

*Jun  5 21:01:13.039: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

*Jun  5 21:01:23.039: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

*Jun  5 21:01:33.039: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

Daniel McDavid
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have 'switchport block multicast' on any of the layer 2 interfaces that would see this traffic? I had an issue recently where a bunch of 3502s could not receive DHCP addresses and this solved the issue. Here is the thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2207757

I never found a solution besides removing the command. I just assumed it was an undocumented bug.

Dan,

Thanks for your response. I have 1142's on this same subnet right now that I reboot every once in a while and move to different controllers for testing and they always resolve through our DHCP server. I would imagine if that was the issue then they would not obtain an IP address. Would that be a correct assumption? This closet I am attached to right now is a layer 2 closet and is not currently blocking any ports. We dont not issue that command on our switches.

Adam,

What code is your WLCs on ? Also are you able to mirror the wired port of a problematic ap ? That could tell us if indeed the ap is trying and if the WLC responds.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

Step 1 Enter configuration mode at the Cisco IOS CLI.

Step 2 Create the DHCP pool, including the necessary parameters such as default router and name

server. A DHCP scope example is as follows:

ip dhcp pool

network

default-router

dns-server

Step 3 Add the option 60 line using the following syntax:

option 60 ascii “VCI string”

Step 4 Add the option 43 line using the following syntax:

option 43 hex

Hope this will help you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card