cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3702i unable to telnet cli - blinking green/red

Kevin Lotko
Level 1
Level 1

I configured 20+ 3702i LAP's a few months by telnet session however today.. When I attempt to configure a brand new 3702i it blinks red/green as if it's attempting to join the controller and when I try and establish a telnet session I get: "password required, but none set"

Do I need to enable option 43 in DHCP?

How else can I telnet into my LAP to manually set the controller IP

My contoller is a 5508

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can always use DNS, resolve capwap-cisco-controller to the WLC ip address or on teh L3 switch:

config t

ip forward protocol udp 5246

ip forward protocol udp 5247

interface vlan <access point vlan>

ip helper-address <WLC ip address>

You can then remove this after.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You cannot telnet to the AP until it has joined the controller.  If you need access to the CLI, then use the console port.  From the console port you can set the controller ip address by using the following commands:

test capwap controller ip <ip address>

capwap ap controller ip address <ip address>

Either one will define the controller address.

-Scott

-Scott

Here is a link to various other ways the ap can join the controller:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/70333-lap-registration.html#topic1

-Scott

-Scott

hmm strange - in the past (2-3 months ago) this process worked:

plug AP into poe switch (AP would just blink green)

check dhcp server for ip

telnet using user: Cisco Password: Cisco

lwapp ap controller ip address X.X.X.X

check WLC for new AP and configure using GUI

done

You need to enable telnet/ssh to new access points once the ap has joined.  I don't know why you were able to, that is not the process for applying the controller ip.

-Scott

-Scott

Okay hmm thank you - I'm not sure either.. when it wasn't working I was about to flip a table but i'll go ahead and try getting it to recognize the controller another way.. I forgot to mention.. I'm on a differnet subnet.. so I need to enable Option 43 so that the lap can discover the controller?

You can always use DNS, resolve capwap-cisco-controller to the WLC ip address or on teh L3 switch:

config t

ip forward protocol udp 5246

ip forward protocol udp 5247

interface vlan <access point vlan>

ip helper-address <WLC ip address>

You can then remove this after.

-Scott

-Scott

Thanks - I've tried configuring my L3 however if I use the WLC IP as a helper-address  will I then need to configure a DHCP pool on the controller?

Ended up using DNS for the solution

Thank you

I agree with Scott here.  Something is not right.  An AP, fresh out of the box, has Telnet and SSH disabled.  Even when it joins the WLC, Telnet and SSH is disabled by default until you specifically enable on each AP.

I think the process should read "Console" instead of "Telnet" or "SSH" as this can be done.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card