cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3802 PoE Power draw.

JASON SIMMONS
Level 2
Level 2

How much power are your 3802 access points drawing from your PoE switches?  Are they Cisco switches?  We have an installation of 3802s connected to a non-Cisco 802.3at enabled switch and we're seeing a maximum 11w to each AP.  A consultant was expecting to see somewhere between 15-25w.  It appears that all the radios are up but users have been complaining about peformance and connectivity since they were installed.

26 Replies 26

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

3802 chews up 29w PoE.  

Try enabling LLDP on the switch.

The new generation of APs behave differently now.  I have seen 1560 (which the 2800/3800 share the same code with) negotiate LLDP first before negotiating to Cisco's proprietary CDP.

Can you also console or remote into the AP and post the complete output to the following commands: 

1.  sh cdp inline; and 

2.  sh lldp inline

I've hit a bug with the 1562 where they would draw the right amount of power and complain that they aren't.  

LLDP is enabled on the switch

edited

What firmware is the controller running on?
Exactly what kind of 3rd party injectors are these?

Another thing:  I'd like to ask if you can console (has to be console) into one of the 3800 and reboot.  I want to see the entire boot-up process.  Pay particular attention near the end because this is where the AP will attempt to negotiate power.

no injectors.  Juniper ex-4300-48P switch

deleted

controller's running 8.2.166.0

Sorry.  Got a lot going on today.

CSCvd86274

I don't understand how that big is related to my issue.

Ap is not sending out CDP. NO CDP, no PoE negotiation.

But it isn't a Cisco switch. The same goes for LLDP? I'm not running those versions of code.

Good point. Both of them.
When it comes to information found in Bug IDs, don't trust them fully. Most of the time, the Known Affected Versions &/or Known Fixed Versions are rarely updated.
I would, however, recommend you raise a TAC Case and get TAC to investigate.

Another thing, can you force the Juniper switch to push 30w PoE to the port (static power assignment)?

I have a TAC case open, SR XXXXXXXXXXXX.

I've searched Juniper's KBs and haven't been able to find a way to force a certian wattage.  The max available per port is 30w BTW.  I'm planning on opening a case with them in the morning.

I'll try resetting the AP using the process in the bug ID and will report back.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/poe-cli.html

user@switch# set poe interface ge-0/0/5 maximum-power <value>
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card