Helpful
Replies

3802E Directional Antennas

Bob Greer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

Thanks for reading.

I have 1/3 of a rectangular warehouse.  The other 2/3 belong to other companies.  I need to provide wifi access but want to reduce my footprint.  I'm thinking about mounting WAPs at 45 degrees, reducing radio power and positioning antennas.

Is there more I can do?  Is mounting at 45 degrees and positioning antennas redundant?  I can achieve the same effect by antenna positioning alone?

Thanks!

Bob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
This depends entirely on the horizontal and/or azimuth pattern of the AP.
If you want to isolate a certain area on the floor then a directional antenna with adjustable tilt mount is required.
Another thing, bring out a calculator and see which is cheaper: A 3802E with antenna or a 1540I/1560I.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The E models don't have a built-in antenna, so it doesn't matter how they are mounted. So you should achieve your goal by simply correctly mounting the correct antenna.

Oh and check if FRA has any influence when using external antennas, or disable it.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
This depends entirely on the horizontal and/or azimuth pattern of the AP.
If you want to isolate a certain area on the floor then a directional antenna with adjustable tilt mount is required.
Another thing, bring out a calculator and see which is cheaper: A 3802E with antenna or a 1540I/1560I.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card