cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 Reporting on Offline AP's (UP/DOWN)

mnancekivell
Level 1
Level 1

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong spot or a duplicate post that maybe has been already answered.

We have a Single 5508 controller deployed with 284 AP's attached at the moment. Every day I get mixed amount of AP's that are offline for whatever reason based on what's reported via the Controller -> Monitor -> Summary > Access Point Summary. The Controller should report all of the registered AP's as either Up or Down. For 284 AP's I'm seeing 275 UP and 0 Down where it should say 9 DOWN. Perhaps my understanding of UP and Down are different.  It makes it hard to troubleshoot what AP's are offline. Has anyone else noticed this? Suggestions? I'm a newbie to Cisco Wireless. I'm currently having to filter by AP Name and sort through a spreadsheet to find out which ones are down which can be quite time consuming.

WLAN Summary.JPG

Thanks In Advance

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you are looking at the main screen which is the monitor tab of the wlc. The view which you are seeing is telling you how many AP's are joined to the wlc. If you see radios in a down state, that means how many radios are down from the AP's that are joined. So if you know the total ap count, this must mean your AP's are bouncing. You can go to the wireless tab and then go to the last page. The AP's that come up last are listed at the end. You can also check the ap itself when it comes back online and has joined the wlc. In the AP view, that will show you how long the ap has been powered up and how long it has been joined.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks.  i actually knew about all of that already.  What i've been finding is a previously registered AP drops off but doesn't report as DOWN so I'm finding there is no easy way to determine what is offline as it isn't showing up on the controller anywhere.  It just disappears.  Reboot of the AP and it's back on the controller.  Is that normal?  Or should the controller at least report it as offline or down?  Frustrating to try and locate a down AP when you've got 284 (about to jump up to 350 of them) not knowing which one is offline (again because it disappears completely from the controller).  I know I could set up some monitoring on the AP's themselves but one would think this would be a function of the controller to let you know when one is offline.  AP's we are using are 1142 and 3502.

Yes... that is what I mean.  The down is only for ap's that are up on the WLC.  That is normal behavior.  For example, if you had one wlc and then you wanted to add another wlc for redundancy and decided to move half of your ap's to the new one.  Well if would be confusing if the existing wlc still showed the total amount of ap's.  You wouldn't know if it belongs to wlc1 or wlc2.  There is no offline methods here... access point summary means the amount of currently joined AP's.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Management --> SNMP --> Trap Control --> AP --> AP register

monitor traps on the trap receiver and there you go.

Hemant Kumar
Level 1
Level 1

You can go to monitor -> statistics-> ap join to see if any of the AP is in not joined state..We can get the exact current AP in down/up state using WCS.

If you have a WCS of any sort this will show you the down APs.

Previously without a WCS we have assignerd the APs static IP addresses and used external network monitoring to monitor their state.

Thanks

Chris

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card