Views
Helpful
Replies

5520 WLC

jaketheape
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently broke the SSO on 2x 5520 controllers. 

1x of the controllers I have factory reset. It has onboard SFP's that look like for Management, as well as a standard rj45 management port. I wanted to use the standard onboard rj45 port for management, however i have been having problems its almost as if the SFP ports taken on the role of management port. It seemed like that when it was asking what Port to use 1 or 2 for management on setup.

After factory resetting and restarting, adding a GLC-T sfp, giving the port an IP address I am unable to access. Exactly the same as when i was trying with an rj45 to the onboard management port. I tried configuring the service-port also with dhcp, i can see dhcp lease then i cant ping it. 

Anyone factory reset a 5520 wlc with SFP's that look like they are being used for management port? and could provide advice?

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies 9

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First remember that service port and management interface are 2 different things. Service port is used for out of band management access to the WLC and Management interface used for WMI & in-band management.

It's been a long time that I worked in 5520, I remember 5520 service port and RP port has built-in RJ45. So I am not sure how the SFP's are connected in service port. If you want to access the box I would suggest that you clear the config (reset system) and then when the configuration is prompted select DHCP or static for the service port and use this port to access the WLC. If you want to access the WLC over the management interface then configure the management interface and accordinly configure the upstream switchport, then you will be able to access the device.

Thanks. Theres something not quite right with this wlc I think or i'm just doing something wrong. I set up the service-port with dhcp. I can see a lease for dhcp. But unable to ping it even though its in the correct vlan. On rebooting the wlc the mac address gets populated into the switch then disappears.

Try to access the same VLAN as service port to your PC/MAC and then try to access. If still not accessible reach out to TAC. Make sure that the service port connecting switch port is configured as a access port.

Thanks I managed to access the service-port by putting my laptop on the same vlan as the service-port. I still have a problem with many GLC-T modules that ive used in management ports 1 or 2 even though TAC had confirmed these were compatible.

According to https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?dr=21&npid=1561 it should support GLC-T and GLC-TE.
Remember Cisco will only guarantee support for original Cisco parts and with the latest version of code (sometimes new hardware revisions mean that you need later code).  If you use 3rd party parts, then there's no guarantee.  If a Cisco part doesn't work when it should then TAC should RMA it for you.
Also beware of hot-swapping them - sometimes reboot of WLC might be required.

Thanks I submitted a separate discussion on the compatibility of GLC-T SFP's on 5520's and was told to try this:

Put a GLC-SX-MM into port 1 and the GLC-T should work in port 2

I am going to try tomorrow when back on site but I had not been doing this. I just added the GLC-T to port 1 with nothing in the other port.

Hi Jake,

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-1/5520-WLC-DG/b_Cisco-5520-WLC-deployment-guide.html#:~:text=No%20reboot%20required-,SFP%20Support,-Network%20ports%20for

Please refer the above link for supported transceivers for 5520. Please note that both GLC-SX-MM and GLC-T are EOL and no longer supported by Cisco. I recommend that you upgrade your transceivers to latest Cisco recommended ones ASAP.

@jaketheape wrote:

Put a GLC-SX-MM into port 1 and the GLC-T should work in port 2

I don't think above will work, as per the documentation you need to have a GLC-TE on port 1, so GLC-SX-MMD on port2 will work.

Yes that's the same info as what was in the link I provided below.
I'm pretty sure GLC-T is still supported by 5520 and will work though.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/5500/5520/install-guide/b-wlc-ig-5520/m-overview.html#con_1273617

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-10/config-guide/b_cg810/initial_setup.html#ID342

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card