cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11a, 802.11b or 802.11g ???

Zymotic
Level 1
Level 1

We are going to implement a wireless LAN, but still don't know which standard to use. What are the "+" and "-" of those standards ???

3 Replies 3

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are many difference in terms of speed, distance coverage and frequency on which they operate..It all really depends on how much speed you need and how much distance you want to cover etc..

Here is the link which covers those three in brief..

http://business.cisco.com/prod/tree.taf%3Fasset_id=88698&ID=44749&ListID=44691&public_view=true&kbns=1.html

Thanks for the link. As we will implement a fully new wireless LAN, we do not need compatibility with other standards. I am not yet sure about the distance coverage needed, this will have to be planed properly, but I feel concerned about the higher speed of 802.11a. Our IT system has a lot of pratical experience with 802.11b, but none with 802.11a and they do not know if 802.11a works as reliable as 802.11b ???

Wireless LAN will have to provide general network connectivity to +/- 50 users, all running a huge ERP application as well !

First you need to determine how much speed you need...802.11a and b, both are reliable..

Looking on your description..I would say go for 802.11b. (my openion) which is widely popular..

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card