Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11a/n/ac DFS Europe and Radar events

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello

I have a medium dense network consisting of around 120 3502i APs. The campus is in Europe and I've enabled DFS channels. This is running fairly well, but I do have quite a lot of channel changes (around 50-100 a day) because of Radar events. The Wi-Fi has enabled all channels and I use 40 MHz. I made now a small statistic and discovered that I have a lot of events on the channels: 52,60,64,100,104,108,112,132 and 136.

I have thought now to remove those channels from RRM-DCA, which should keep my controllers from assigning them to the APs? Side question, is it possible that this can't be configured with a controller template in Prime Infrastructure 2.1?

If I disable those channels, how many 40 MHz channels will I have left? I my calculation is not completely off, I'm left with a low 4 non-overlapping channels?

As source I used this http://www.wirevolution.com/2012/06/24/802-11ac-and-802-11ad-why-both/ and this http://electronicdesign.com/communications/understanding-ieee-80211ac-vht-wireless

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

6 Replies 6

Eric Hatch
Level 1
Level 1

I have this exact problem at one campus, I would like to just disable the DFS channels at the one site.  Currently at prime 2.2 and have not found it yet.   Any help would be appreciated.

It did not find a solution to have it configured automated. After also looking at which APs are affected, I discovered that only around 10 had the issue (most of them on the lake side of the building). Those I've manually configured with a fixed channel that is outside the DFS range.

Now I'm down to around 10 channel changes per day on my whole campus.

If you run any decent software on your controller like 7.6 or 8.0, you can use RF Profiles to excluded some channels for a bunch of access-points. In this scenario RRM can still make a channel change is needed. I usually do this for outdoor access-points because of the ETSI regulations for outdoor channels.

I'm still using 7.0 as we still have old WISM in use. But we will probably soon upgrade to new controller with 7.6.

Could you thus elaborate how to do this with RF Profiles?

Create under the "wireless" tab on the controller an RF profile for 5Ghz and make sure to allow the correct channels and data-rates. Then just add the access-points to an dedicated access-point group and link the new created RF profile to it.

Just to confirm that DCA support for RF-Profiles only start from controller code 8.0 and not 7.6

Tyrone

Please rate if helpful!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card