Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11a Radio "not supported"

Manish Mathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

This may sound like a basic question but I would appreciate an answer.

We have a WLC with "BE" and "US" country codes enabled. Although , the WLC is in Belgium , but there are some "A" domain APs (deployed in Belgium) associated to it. Hence the "US" code enabled.

We recently deployed 2702 series APs in Taiwan (T regulatory domain) and connected them in Flex mode to this WLC in Belgium. We didn't enable Taiwan as the country on this WLC. However, the APs joined and became operational. However, after a couple of days, they are showing the "A" radio as "not supported". Although , the radio is UP after I did a "no shut" on the 802.11a interface in the AP.

Questions:

1. How can we verify , which regulatory domain APs will join/not join a WLC with a particular country code enabled ?

Thanks,

Manish

3 Replies 3

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Using various regularity domains (countries and -A/B/C/E/... AP models) is not really recommended, because of those exact issues.

I recommend to get some small controllers for the corresponding country.

Also, the currently installed software version can make some difference on what is working and what not, but still, I really don't recommend to do it with different regularity domains.

Thanks . Yes, I acknowledge the fact that enabling multiple country codes and/or regulatory domains on the same WLC is not the best practice. This will lead to limiting the power ;levels and channel usage to the common minimum set. and also may show highly unpredictable results.

However, I would like to know if there is a set of rules/policies regarding "Which domain APs will/will not join a particular country code WLC".

Regards,

Manish

Google brought up this:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-0/AP_Regulatory_Domain_DG/b_universal_AP_regulatory_domain_DG.pdf

And this:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/wireless/wireless-compliance-tool/index.html

I hope it helps you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card