Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11AC with 7925G

florian.hanig1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco Wireless Environment with a Cisco 2504 WLC and 5 of 1702i Access points.

Also we have 3 Cisco 7925G Wlan Phones.

The Voice WLAN and "normal" Wlan ist seperated into VLANs.

So I want to use 802.11ac for maximum performance for the Notebooks.

For 802.11ac ist 80mhz required, correct ?

But Unter "Wireless" -> "802.11.a/n/ac" -> "RRM" -> "DCA" I can only setup the Channel Width globally.

This takes effect for all WLAN's, the Voice and the Data VLAN.

So what it the best practise for use 802.1ac and 7925g together ?

Sorry for my bad English... !

I hope you can help me!

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

M. Wisely
Level 4
Level 4

802.11ac doesn't require 80MHz width, 80MHz just makes more bandwith available to AC clients than 20 or 40MHz.

Setting the channel width to 80MHz only sets the maximum width clients can use, not the width clients must use.

Ok thanks.

I turn on 80mhz, the 7925G phones are successfully connected.

But If I have a call, the sound of the voice on the phone ist with a high beep.

And that on all phones..

So can you explain, why it is so ?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So what it the best practise for use 802.1ac

First understand what are the serious repercussion with 802.11ac wave 1 and wave 2, particularly the amount of 802.11a channels allowed.

The hype maybe there but there is not a lot of reason to enable 802.11ac wave 2 unless your wired network is capable of handling >2 Gbs per port.  

802.11ac wave 2 is a very, very expensive system to enable.  The entire wired network will need to be replaced with mGIG-capable switch ports or the newly-ratified standard and the uplink should, at a minimum, support 10 Gbps.  

The most common reason by non-technical folks for going to 802.11ac is "so I can surf the net faster".  How many people can afford an internet link with a bandwidth of >2 Gbps?

Presently, I believe only Apple ProBooks are the only wireless clients that can really support 802.11ac wave 2 (if I'm not mistaken).  Yeah, I was just told present Apple devices don't support Wave 2.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card