Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11b PCI Card in Infrastructure Mode

valery.efimov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I'm using Cisco 350 Series Aironet PCI Card in Linux for wireless communication. Till now didn't succed to make the card to work in Infrastructure Mode, just ad-hoc. Installing Linux RedHat 8.0 and using "iwconfig" command I saw that it is possible to set the card to work in Infrastructure, but the hardware doesn't want to work that way.

Do I need some firmware upgrade, or it is just impossible to convince the Cisco 350 Series Aironet PCI Card communicate in the Infrastructure Mode?

Thanks,

Valery

2 Replies 2

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

For infrastructure mode what are you trying to commincate to ? You must have an AP for infrastructure mode.

Ad hoc is like a cross over cable for back to back client card set up

Infrastructure is for talking to an AP

Although this link is for windows all the setting have the same meaning it will explain all the settings for your client card

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo_350/350cards/windows/incfg/win_ch6.htm

sandeepjha
Level 1
Level 1

hie..

dervin is correct..... for the infrastructure mode you must have an AP.

your card is working fine on adhoc mode ....... it happens sometimes...

1. either the PCI card is picking signals from any neighbouring PCI card.

2. on the access point also we have a PCI card inside it.... so sometimes we have fine communication in the adhoc mode.

if you are just getting the physical connection in the adhoc mode not the network connection..... then you should try somehow on infrastructure mode(if you are trying to connect to AP).

you may try to change the channel on AP if your PCI card is still not communicating with the AP in infrastructure mode.

byee....

regards.... sandeep

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card