Views
Helpful
Replies

803.3at : AP Functionality with power inline static max 15400

Stephen Broix
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have many APs 2700 which are connected on a switch 2960 (supporting POE+).

To be sure that my switch can deliver power on all APs, I enter this command on interfaces : "power inline static max 15400"

But I need to know if all fonctionalities of the APs are available with this power (instead of "Auxiliary Ethernet Port enabled")? Is 802.3at (POE+) is already set or I'm on 802.3af (POE)?

I looked on many Cisco documentation, but it's not clear.

Is any one can answer ??

Thank you in advance.

BROIX Stephen

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Won't make a difference. 

AP 2702 is an 802.11ac wave 1-ready AP.   But this means the AP needs to be powered up, ideally, with 16.6w PoE.  If the power provided is only 15.4w then the AP will downshift from 3x4 MIMO to 3X3 MIMO and the higher-speed data rates will be disabled. 

Another thing, the AP has two GigabitEthernet ports (currently one is ready to use and the 2nd one is for future expansion), so this means if the AP is plugged into a 10/100 Mbps port, then the bottleneck will be here.  

This is why I'm saying that it won't make a difference what power the AP can draw from the switch since the ethernet port will not be able to even support 802.11n.

Hello Leo,

Thank you for your answer.

I've seen that the "ethernet aux" port need power but I don't use it. If I shutdown this port, is this possible to provide 15.4w and keep 3x4 MIMO with best speed data rates?

Stephen

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card