cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9115AXI as travel router (EWC with DHCP)

nmack25
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! 
Was wondering if there is a way to have both the ap and the EWC inside of it get dhcp leases each time it boots up? I want to travel with my 9115 ap, but with every router and hotel having different networks, I dont think ewc would work if the ap is in the correct dhcp range, but the ewc is stuck on the initial config one. 

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Kind of a strange requirement : why not use the local wifi offered as we all do ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

There’s a few things, mostly in airbnbs actually.

Hotels: Half of the hotels I’ve stayed at dont heavily enforce the ethernet speed limit. For example, one I’ve stayed at limited WiFi at 20mbps, but ethernet at 100mbps, and I didn’t have to pay. 

Rental homes: 80% of the rental homes I’ve been in use the ISP all in one box. While this is okay, there have been multiple instances where the ISP box WiFi where the coverage was terrible, but my (now aging) aruba instant ap solved that issue.

In general (with my family), we can travel with up to 25 devices, which makes connecting them all to a new SSID a PAIN. I’d much rather spend 15 minutes setting up my own ap vs helping my family connect to a new WiFi network every time we travel. 

Whilst all of that is your choice,the more fundamental point should be made that these Cisco EWC APs are not at all intended for such purposes. They are intended to be deployed in a fixed business environment and or then servicing other APs too, if needed.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You might hit issues with the hotel security. Some of them will block more than 1 device connecting from the data port. Some are even removing the physical data ports
Also why would you just not connect to the hotel wifi?

A better solution might be if you have a WLC to use OEAP mode AP if you have to have the same SSIDs. Bonus of this is you can tunnel non internet traffic back to the WLC and the AP remains in DHCP mode.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Office extend would a good option, you may also be better off with a Meraki AP, you just need any internet to connect and operate, something like MR36

If you want to operate out of cellular backhaul, you may also consider Meraki gateway

-hope this helps-
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card