cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9115AXI-D AP Blinking RED-GREEN-BLUE Continually.

Pranav Mhatre
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

9115AXI-D AP connected to 9800 WLC Blinking RED-GREEN-BLUE Continually.

This could be due to power level or any other reason?

Troubleshooting done so far -->

Connected AP to different switch ports of 6500 / 4500 No luck.

Switch port Power level set to maximum using below command still no luck.

power inline {auto [max max-wattage] | never |static [max max-wattage]} Access point, Aironet Access Points

Please find attached snap of switch which shows consumed power as 6 while available power as 30.

Note - CDP is disabled on switch.

5 Replies 5

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I suggest using CDP or LLDP on the port if possible, makes your life a little bit easier.

Is there a DHCP server running in the configured VLAN?

Option 43 correctly configured?

WLC reachable via CAPWAP from that VLAN?

Can you attach a console cable to the AP and show us the bootup log?

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would say enable POE and check, I am almost certain that the light sequence is due POE issues. Below guide confirms it

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/9115ax/quick/guide/ap9115ax-getstart.html#pgfId-69305

if CDP/LLDP is enabled on the switch, 15W is initially allocated, and then it will assign the requested power when the CDP message is received. If CDP/LLDP is disabled on the switch it will constantly provide 15W throughout the duration of AP connected to the switch. I would say enable CDP or LLDP only on the ports where the AP's are connected. 

Just to add to what the others have said - CDP or LLDP must be enabled or the AP will not work correctly.

It's a requirement for POE+ to work, it's not optional.

On Cisco devices CDP is the preferred option.

Appreciate the discussion on this.  I ran into this issue and it was the power output on one of the two switches in the stack.  Checked the power output on the stack and the #2 unit was overloaded compared to the #1 unit.  I moved some of the connections to rebalance the switch and it helped the situation.  Funny that the AP was showing healthy on the WLC, but the switch was not able to fully power the unit.  CDP neighbor showed up but a check of POE per port showed no output.  

Gaurav  Kansal
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Pranav,

Its because your access point is running on medium power and you have to troubleshoot this. Some times switch shows 30 but when you see power of access point in your WLC, it shows medium power. You can try to enable LLDP on your switch globally and shut no shut interface connected to access point.

Good Luck..

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card