cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9120AXI-B and Cisco 9800 WLC, AP doesn't maintain its config?

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello all,

I had to stage and roll out one of our offices with the cisco 9120AXI-B aps using our new 9800 WLC.  I have had some strange behavior from a few of our ap's.  For example, there was a power blip on one of our cisco switches and two of the 9120 aps went down and never recovered.  I grabbed one of them and when I got it connected to a different port and logged into the cli, it still had its old ip configuration.  I went to re-install it and even though the config is there, its not joining the WLC.  Additionally, when I change the set up to use dhcp so I can get it to join the wlc, it comes up and shows up on the WLC.  However when I change the ip to the static and change the switchport back to a trunk, the ap doesn't rejoin the WLC???

Does anyone here on the forum have any idea why this is happening?  We are running our WLC on bootflash:C9800-40-universalk9_wlc.17.03.03.SPA.bin.

Please let me know if you do.

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

what's your config of the switch port before and after you change it to trunk.

Suggest using DHCP reservations rather than static IP addresses

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DHCP Knows options where the WLC controller when you configured static IP, this does not have full information of where the WLC is located. this required some Manual config.

I am not a great fan of static IP for AP, it should always use DHCP, so AP can plug in any stack which has a different IP pool and centralize DHCP to have WLC information for onboarding AP.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade to 17.3.4c and make sure to upgrade the ROMMON to 17.3(3r).  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card