Views
Helpful
Replies

9124AXE AP PoE out port configuration

nareh84
Level 3
Level 3

hi,

I have AP 9124AXE AP registered with WLC 9800. it will be connected to Fibre cable and powered via powered injected. i can't find any documentation of wlc9800 to configure POE out port of AP9124AXE, so that a PoE CCTV can be connected and a vlan is extended to that CCTV. in this way, i dont have to run another fibre cable and use media converter to connect cctv.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

- It's out of my detailed knowledge scope , but you would certainly  have to test an intended setup and connection
    before taking a production solution for granted. As far as I know you can not connect a switch to an access point's external point.
   The point being that servicing trunks which are external and not known to the AP in the context of WLANs/VLAN pair(s) is impossible
                      (it is impossible 'to bring' those vlans to the AP external port)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-12/config-guide/b_wl_17_12_cg/m_ap_crash_file_upload_ewlc.html
        >...In Cisco IOS XE 17.13.1, PoE-out is a new interface introduced in Cisco Catalyst 9124 Series APs, in addition to the USB, Ethernet, and LAN interfaces. The PoE-out for Cisco Catalyst 9124 Series AP RLAN works only if you have enabled the RLAN port.

- The above being said : does it only work from 17.13.1 ?; not sure on that (have not used it myself)

- Have a look at this stuff : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-12/config-guide/b_wl_17_12_cg/m_ap_crash_file_upload_ewlc.html#config-poe-out-interface-in-power-profile-cli
                                         https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-12/config-guide/b_wl_17_12_cg/m_ap_crash_file_upload_ewlc.html#verify-poe-out-details

Whilst the above clearly is mentioned in a document for 17.12.x ;  you may want to test all of that further , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

hi,

thanks for the reply. would it be possible to connect a switch to this RLAN port (trunk) and connect more than one device (with open authentication?

>...to connect a switch to this RLAN port (trunk) and connect more than one device (with open authentication?
  - No , that's totally impossible , as you were saying you will need to provision additional networks for your purpose , 

M.

nareh84
Level 3
Level 3

hi, 

thanks for the reply. this is for my knowledge. based on following it seems like multiple hosts can be connected. but it may need

-mac filtering or 802.1x authentication

- and only one vlan can be configured on this port (that will be native vlan on this port)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/newconfigmodel/b_catalyst-9800-configuration-model/m_configuring-remote-lans.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9124ax-series/222284-configure-remote-lan-rlan-on-access-po.html

• Multi-Domain Mode: The authenticator allows one host from the data domain and another from the voice domain. This is a typical configuration on switch ports with IP phones connected.

• Multi-Host Mode: The first device to authenticate opens up to the switch port, so that all other devices can use the port. You need not authenticate other devices independently, if the authenticated device becomes authorized the switch port is closed.

• Single-Host Mode: The default host mode. In this mode, the switch port allows only a single host to be authenticated and passes traffic one by one.

- It's out of my detailed knowledge scope , but you would certainly  have to test an intended setup and connection
    before taking a production solution for granted. As far as I know you can not connect a switch to an access point's external point.
   The point being that servicing trunks which are external and not known to the AP in the context of WLANs/VLAN pair(s) is impossible
                      (it is impossible 'to bring' those vlans to the AP external port)

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card