Views
Helpful
Replies

9800-40 image update

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

Refresh my failing memory,  

executing an image download (install mode) and AP Image Predownload selected will NOT reload the system, but wait until commanded at later afterhours date/time.

4 Replies 4

I think you have gone through upgrade process. I would recommend GUI procedure as it make life simple, however if you like CLI preference is use 'install add file activate commit' which will reload WLC immediately after upgrade process.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-14/config-guide/b_wl_17_14_cg/m_upgrade_9800cl.html#upgrade-cont-sw

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

hi Rasika,

Yes that is true,  but I'm having a senior moment.  What I want to do, is much like airos on the 5520 that is currently in production, armed for a reboot to 8.10.196 after hours, is to 'install' and predownload APs during working hours and then execute the reboot manually after hours.  all previous updates were accomplished with less than 20 clients and I did not pay attention to the details.  Now I have 800+ clients 9-5 clients whereas the 5520 is stuffed with the 24/7 SO/Fire team.

Yes I do use the GUI.  but I don't remember if 'Download&Install'  finishes with a reboot or just a ..  ready state.

We've been using Hitless Software Upgrade (N + 1 Upgrade) for several versions now and they seem to be good.  

We've been upgraded several "24-hours site" (17.3.X to 17.9.X and then to 17.12.3) without any of complaints. 

We usually kick off the upgrade around 10:00 am and the 1900 APs (Qty) would finish around 15:00.  

I do not understand why Cisco Live speakers are reluctant to talk about this topic/feature.  (I "demo-ed" this to a Cisco wireless PSS and he was speechless.)

DISCLAIMER:  Each firmware has their own little "demon".  The earlier versions, like 17.3.X, were not nice.  17.9.4/17.9.4a were also very bad to do "Hitless Software Upgrade".  

Well I bit the bullet and executed the intall last night.  bottom line, it did not reset until after the image download and subsequent 'commit' action.

in anycase the ONLY AP to 'fail'  is my own 1815t.  it is failing with the no ip manager ip's available. issue.

it does have the new image and is running in standalon mode.  if I redirect it to the 5520, 0n 8.10.185.0  it works fine.  the other 3 client 1815t's attached just fine.  so 283 aps and 977 clients.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card