cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9800 Auto-Anchor with local APs and SSID

JWS
Level 1
Level 1

Have a client that has a 9800 auto-anchoring a quest network for several locations.  The 9800 Auto-Anchor is at a site where they now want to host an AP and a local SSID.  It has been my understanding that the auto-anchor should be used only for an anchor, and not control local APs or host local SSID.  An associate told me it's possible to control local APs and host local SSID so long as the SSID isn't the same one that's exported for foreign controllers using it for guest traffic.

Anyone setup an Auto-Anchor with local SSID and supporting local APs?

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...An associate told me it's possible to control local APs and host local SSID so long as the SSID isn't the same one that's exported for foreign controllers using it for guest traffic.
  - I doubt it because foreign WLC will use the anchor's Wireless Management IP and also everything will revert to Central Switching (to the Anchor) , you could attempt it  and use WirelessAnalyzer which will quickly point out fatal configuring errors for that use the CLI command : show  tech   wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer.               Checkout all advisories!

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can have the same SSID as long as the profile name is unique.  Basically you have your SSID that is used only for anchor and then you have another SSID profile that is used for local.  Of course you will need different tags and policies for the site that requires local SSID.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

HI

Just on the back of this one, this helped me out, ith one anchor.  We advertise 4 organisations in our hospital, and they in return advertise our SSID around the county in their buildings.

I can get above working just for one organisation, but when clone and change the profile name, I get the ususal

%CLIENT_ORCH_LOG-4-ANCHOR_VAP_SECURITY_MISMATCH: Chassis 1 R0/0: wncd: Export anchor required but local and remote security/profile configuration is not matching for: Wlan-Profile: billybob, Policy-Profile: billybob

But from I can see what it is asking for is correct.  I've put them in seperate TAG, same TAG

Is there something I'm missing?  cheers

foreign
9800 wlan profile9800 wlan ssid9800 policy profile name5520 wlan profile name5520 wlan SSID works
myssidmyssidmyssidmyssidmyssid yes
billybobmyssidbillybobbillybobmyssid no

- FYI : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwd76693

M.

m.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

hi

So only way going to get this to work, is to get all the organisations to change their naming conventions for their WLAN Profile that points back to our wlcs, so the wlan profile, ssid name and policy are all the same?

cheers

What version of software are you using?
CSCwd76693 is fixed in 17.9.4a which is the current TAC recommended release.

Not clear from your table which row is the local and which row is the anchor?

I'm on 17.9.4a

craiglebutt_0-1706866811649.png

i'll log a call

cheers

> i'll log a call
That's probably best

But still not clear which ROW (horizontal line) is local and which is foreign.
In other words which SSID profile is the one you're using locally?

There are collum headings, which show at the top
The first row shows the config that works,
The second row shows the row trying to simulate that doesn't work.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card