cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9800 RXload 255/255 WLC

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello everyone, could you help me with this issue? I have a WLC 9800 in a VM environment, it has a G2 interface in trunk mode passing some VLANs of my WIFI SSIDs. This interface is showing: reliability 254/255, txload 5/255, rxload 255/255. Could you help me understand why it is showing like this (rxload 255/255) this can be affect my traffic ? Is this a bug in the WLC? I also see the interface showing this in the GUI.

My download now is about 60mbs and upload in 160 mbs, can this rxload can affect my traffic in download mode? 

gabriellimacaitano_0-1683651202239.png

6 Replies 6

Hi

This is not normal, that´s for sure but it wouldn´t interfere on your client´s download/upload. Your access point is in flexconnect mode which means the traffic stay between them and the switch and only the management traffic is sent back to the WLC.

The management traffic is a fraction of the traffic you see there.  60Mbps is not too bad for wifi.

Investigate what is happening is a bit complicate as this is a virtual environment. I believe you should start on the switch where you connect your Server, maybe putting a wireshark on the interface.  The problem is that it will see all the traffic for any VM you may have on the server.

Thank you Flavio, I believe that due to the fact that the interface is in promiscuous mode, it has a high RX load.

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ola @gabriel.lima.caitano yes it may be that but even so it is very high. 

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

and my access point is not in FlexConnect mode. Do you have any idea why it might not be configured that way. 

Translator
Community Manager
Community Manager

You're sure. Virtual WLC ate where I know only flexconnect support.

But when the AP is configured in Local mode it is because they want traffic sent to the WLC.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

It's 9800 so it must be 9800-CL not vWLC.
9800-CL does support local mode and central switching up to 5Gbps:
"With a high (enhanced) throughput profile, up to 5 Gbps can be reached on ESXi and KVM with the right set of network cards and resources (SR-IOV-enabled NIC card)"

Yes @gabriel.lima.caitano I agree that promiscuous mode probably explains that.  You should ensure that the WLC is in its own vlan on the host to ensure that it doesn't receive traffic to/from all the other VMs.  A short packet capture on the interface would confirm that.

Flexconnect/local mode, central/local switching is a design decision for you to make and is entirely dependent on your network's requirements so only you can decide which it should be.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card