cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9800 WLC - Modifying WLAN causes SSID to drop from APs

jake.hansen
Level 1
Level 1

Whenever I make changes to one of my WLANs, it causes the SSID to stop broadcasting from APs that it is assigned to. The only resolution I have discovered is to go into each AP and changed the policy tag to a different tag, save it, then change it back to the correct tag. Is there any way to either prevent this issue from happening, or globally force every AP to pull an updated config?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We ran into an issue just a few days ago when we migrated some APs from AireOS to IOS-XE.  Other groups of APs (different sites) went well.  In one group, none of the APs were broadcasting anything.  We dialed into one of the APs and used the command "sh dot11 wlan" and there was not a single SSID in them.  

Using CLI, we removed and added SSIDs from the Policy Tag (several times) and it did not work, however, when we removed and then added the SSIDs into the Policy Tag using GUI, it started working.  

This is why I was asking if the SSIDs in the Policy Tags were created using GUI or CLI.

9800 version:  17.6.4

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds very bug related. What version code you running 

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I am running 17.3.5a. After I posted this, I found CSCwa76898  which describes the same issue, however the workarounds did not work and 17.3.5a is listed under fixed releases.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Where the policy tags created using CLI or GUI?

It was a mix of both CLI or GUI, but this issue is affecting multiple different policy tags and I don't remember which were CLI and which were GUI.

We ran into an issue just a few days ago when we migrated some APs from AireOS to IOS-XE.  Other groups of APs (different sites) went well.  In one group, none of the APs were broadcasting anything.  We dialed into one of the APs and used the command "sh dot11 wlan" and there was not a single SSID in them.  

Using CLI, we removed and added SSIDs from the Policy Tag (several times) and it did not work, however, when we removed and then added the SSIDs into the Policy Tag using GUI, it started working.  

This is why I was asking if the SSIDs in the Policy Tags were created using GUI or CLI.

9800 version:  17.6.4

Removing add adding back the SSIDs to Policy Tags via gui fixed the issue. 

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

@jake.hansen Did you write the tags to the AP's at least once in the past? If not please write the tags.

Lab-9800#ap name <AP name> write tag-config

Also if you are running 17.6.X or higher enable Ap tag persistency.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-6/config-guide/b_wl_17_6_cg/m_ap_tag_persistency.html#:~:text=rejoin%20the%20controller.-,Procedure,-Command%20or%20Action

THen try to do changes and check whether this is creating an impact. 

jake.hansen
Level 1
Level 1

All APs starting broadcasting the missing SSID again after I removed and re-added the WLAN from the affect policy tags. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card