cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9800 WLC on Cat 9407R switch

gcook0001
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to do some research on running the 9800 WLC on our 9407R switch. What exactly are the requirements for doing this. I understand that you need SD-WAN. Does that mean you need Cisco DNA. We have DNA advantage on our switches but we can not afford the full DNA solution. Currently, we are running 2802i APs using Mobility Express. I just find it hard to get a clear answer when reading the Cisco documentation. 

Thanks

6 Replies 6

jagan.chowdam
Level 4
Level 4

As part of mode consolidation Embedded Wireless on Catalyst 9000 Series Switch (non-SDA) using WebUI will be End of Support (Q3FY21) with no additional feature development or code changes and 17.3.x is the last supported release.

For customers looking for flexible architecture to suit their needs, we recommend the following options:

●     Option 1 : Embedded Wireless on an Access Point (up to 100 APs)

●     Option 2 : Embedded Wireless on Catalyst 9000 Series switches using DNAC (SD-Access) (up to 200 APs)

●     Option 3 : 9800-L (or 9800-CL) locally on branches or in FlexConnect mode (up to 500 APs)

Ref: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/guide-c07-744299.html

CJ

/**Please rate useful responses**/

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
9800 WLC on Cat 9407R switch 

You can run WLC as not fabric mode, there is no mandatory requirement to have Sd-Access or DNAC here.

but you look features of SD-Access related stuff.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

we are running 2802i APs using Mobility Express

If you running alread ME, what is the reason to move - above solution you mentioned not that cheap as ME ( in terms of cost)

if you looking to use that exisiting AP, check the matrix

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I was looking at some of the features available with the 9800 vs ME. Also, I was hoping to reduce the traffic to the AP acting as the controller since all the APs are connected to the same switch. So the controller traffic would only have to hit the switch and not go to the AP.

SD-access does the Local Switching only control traffic go all the way to WLC

WLC vs ME is very large difference. WLC is dedicated Controller to manage all PA. ME is laternative option for small deployment

check limitatiopn (ME)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/85/release_notes/b_ME_RN_85.html#id_50258

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@gcook0001 wrote:

As part of mode consolidation Embedded Wireless on Catalyst 9000 Series Switch (non-SDA) using WebUI will be End of Support (Q3FY21) with no additional feature development or code changes and 17.3.x is the last supported release.

Talk to your Cisco AM/SE/PSS for Wireless. The above "policy" was announced before the world-wide chip shortage became critical.  

(Read between the lines.)

I talked to Cisco rep and he wasn't very helpful which is why I am posting here.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card