Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Acceptable signal strength?

Hi everyone--i find myself having to venture out into the realm of wireless (I'm more of a UC/DC engineer...) and i've got a problem i'm trying to track down.  Installed two WLC 5508s, WCS, 3502i APs (123 of them...) in a 4-floor high school.  What i'm finding is lousy throughput from a lab of PCs with little USB b/g/n adapters.  I took my Macbook in and ran iStumbler to get an idea of the SNR but honestly, i'm not sure what i'm looking for.

For the particular room/SSID/band that i was looking at, i found that in the 2.4 range, i was getting 53% signal strength and about 16% noise.  Is that a good level?  In WCS, i can see close to a dozen APs in relation to the AP in question, so i'm wondering if the SNR is too high...not sure what to tune/tweak/do to make it perform better...

Any ideas would gladly be welcome.

Thanks all

SJ

15 Replies 15

No problem. I don't think it's a configuration issue with your wlc since you are not having issues with other areas. Since this lab is having issues and you do have an ap located in that lab, it might be a compatibility with the WEP configuration between the ap and the clients.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card