Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Point IOS update with a CISCO 5500 WLC

emathieu_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have 50 AP (actually IOS version 12.4(18a)JA and AP model is AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9) manage with a Cisco 5508 WLC (version 6.0.196.0) . We would like plan an IOS update on all Access Point.

I have search the way to do this maintenance with the GUI on the WLC without success

Could  you please help me and explain me how proceed to update ios on all AP ?  Did I need use the WLC Gui or traditionnal with a tftp server ?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade the firmware and the bootstrap of the WLC and the WLC will distribute the AP IOS all in one "hit" (because you have a 5508). 

In firmware version 7.X, there's a new feature where you the WLC is loaded with the 7.0.X code.  If, for example, you upgrade your WLC to the next code higher than 7.0.96.0 then you don't need to reboot the WLC (yet).  You can command the WLC to pre-download the APs new IOS.   Another feature in the 7.0.116.0 is the ability to schedule the WLC for a reboot.

View solution in original post

The detail you are missing is that the WLC software comes already loaded with AP softwares.

So to get the latest IOS for APs, download the latest WLC software.

It's the whole point : all your APs will run the same version with the WLC to control them.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

emathieu_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have search on this Forum and find an answer to my question.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3018914#3018914

"Upgrade the WLC only.  The WLC will distribute the new AP firmwares 5 at a time."

Ok. But now how can I choose the IOS update to installed on access point ?

Did I must download specific IOS version and put them somewhere on the WLC ?

Thanks,

Eric

Upgrade the WLC code.. the AP code will update its code the time it re registers back!! Lemme know if this answered ur question!!

Please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

The detail you are missing is that the WLC software comes already loaded with AP softwares.

So to get the latest IOS for APs, download the latest WLC software.

It's the whole point : all your APs will run the same version with the WLC to control them.

Hello,

Ok so I canĀ“t choose personally the IOS version to install on my AP? when the APs are under control a WLC.

We have no choice and the ios version is only installed by with the WLC software.

How know which ios version is deployed with the WLC software ? release notes  ?

Thanks for all answer I received.

Eric

Thanks for the rating.

The LWAP software is embedded in the WLAN controller sofwtare image you dont get to load it as a seprate item.

The access points auto upgrade to whatever version is on the WLAN controller they connect to. I have not seen the LWAPP software version listed in any release notes but you can check to see what versions the LWAPs are running and what version they are upgrading to (if any) by using the WLC gui:

WIRELESS > Access Points > All APs

Then look under the "Versions" tab

Regards

Pat

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade the firmware and the bootstrap of the WLC and the WLC will distribute the AP IOS all in one "hit" (because you have a 5508). 

In firmware version 7.X, there's a new feature where you the WLC is loaded with the 7.0.X code.  If, for example, you upgrade your WLC to the next code higher than 7.0.96.0 then you don't need to reboot the WLC (yet).  You can command the WLC to pre-download the APs new IOS.   Another feature in the 7.0.116.0 is the ability to schedule the WLC for a reboot.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card