cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access point VLANS and IP Addresses for RADIUS servers

cmorley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i would like to have my IAS radius server authenticate clients. I have done that, so my question is about routing and VLANS and incorporating into my existing network.

What VLAN does the access point communicate to the RADIUS server on? I need to tell the access point to communicate on VLAN1, any other VLAN will not goto the radius server. The access point only has one setable ip address through the http config, is this for management or communication with the radius server?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

3 Replies 3

andrew.brazier
Level 4
Level 4

You've got it right, the APs IP address is used to manage it and is also the address it uses to communicate with the rest of the network. If the IAS/RADIUS server is on another VLAN you need routing between the VLANs.

momeara
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Would you mind sharing how you configured both the AP and IAS to work together? I'm not finding anything in the Cisco documentation that shows how to do that and I need to use my IAS server to authenticate clients who connect to the inside SSID on my AP.

By the way, I have successfully configured an AP with two SSIDs - one for guests that connects those clients to the guest VLAN (a DMZ on my PIX), and one for trusted users that connects them to the VLAN for my inside, secure network). If you haven't got that working, I'd be glad to help.

yeah sure sounds good. im back to work on sunday so i will post some config files / screenshots etc then for you.

cheers,

chris

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card