cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding legacy AP firmware to new WLC

JFischer7
Level 1
Level 1

At work I've stumbled into this task where I needed to update our virtual WLC from 8.1.133 to 8.10.2.2. However in addition to new APs (9120) there are still APs (2702) in use that are not supported by the new WLC.

I've been told to just upload the bundle containing the old firmware to the WLC and I should be good. At the moment I am struggeling with that task. I've been provided an ap3g2 bundle as an tar archive.

Could someone kindly point me to where to upload this to the WLC. download > code is not working since this is not accepting the file type. All I find are guides on how to update WLC SW with an provided AES file. Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks for your help!

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
They gave you the wrong file.
The AP Bundle has the AES file extension.

Thank you for your answer.

Are you sure? I've looked at the release notes again and in there is the ap_bundle (without AES file extension) stating this is the bundle for APs. This is the tar archive, I've extracted it is well but it doesn't hold the relevant AES files, as far as I can tell.

8.10.X.X is a beta software.
If you plan to use 2700/3700 in them the controller must "dish" out the firmware. The firmware for the APs are "bundle" in the firmware of the controller with a file extension of AES.

Must be a new feature. 

in the past and currently, the 5508 is unable to handle the entire update in one pass so a handful of 'lesser used' AP's are left out of the primary file and are contained in the AIR-CT5500-AP_BUNDLE-K9-(verson).aes.  5520's have no such issue and I can't imagine the AIR-CTVM-x-K9_(verson).aes (ova/iso etc) having such a issue.

Good Luck.  Time for a 2nd wlc for the glorious old things.

I think his issue is that the 8.10 software train drops the support for the 2700/3700 series, but he requires that software for the 9100 series and the wlc 9800. Either TAC told him wrong information (about AP firmware adder package), or they gave him the wrong file.

Yes, exactly. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something. The tar archive ap_bundle does contain multiple tar archives labeled ap1g1 - ap3g3, from which I basically just need ap3g2. I mean, I do have the firmware, there must be a way to add this to the vWLC.

At least in the past you required an .aes file (encrypted with valid hash) to be installed after the main release.
See here for the procedure for the 5508 WLC: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn85mr5.html#supplementary-image

I assume you require a similar file for the 9800. On the other hand, the 9800 has so much storage, I'd be surprised if they would even split the image into two parts.

Okay, I am working with the virtual wireless Lan Controller if it makes a difference?
When I connect the 2702 AP I get log messages stating that capwap_ac_platform.c:3339 refusing image download from Unsupported AP - unable to open image file /bsn/ap//ap3g2.
As stated before I do have the ap3g2, but I can't get it onto the vWLC.

Please check with TAC. This software is not yet officially released and there sadly isn't yet any documentation available. I'm sure you have some special Beta contact who should be able to help you.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card