Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Additional AP-Manager interface on WLC 5508

Dear all,

at the moment we are using as default the manager interface as ap-manager interface.

Now I have to change the IP. I would like to change that very smooth with all our locations. My question, is it possible to add a ap-manager interface with a new vlan and IP Range, so that I can move the AP's to the second interface as as soon as it is planed with the location. Sometimes in special cases we have hard coded the WLC IP oder we just need to change the DHCP option but this needs to be planed and I see problem to do that in a hard cut.

regards,

Sebastain

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Not a problem, if u wanna use an interface as the AP manager then it wont cause any kinda issues.. it works smooth

I have seen many ppl using this way and facing no issues..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

By default on 5508 wlc, management does the AP manager interface job as well.. if u wanna configure one for AP manager here is the link whch gives u the info on..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mint.html#wp1286790

lemme know if this answered ur question and please dont forget to rate the usefull posts!!

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hey Surendra,

thank u very much for that fast reply, I know that i can and I do that, but I'm not sure if that will work as I think. If you told me that I get no trouble if I would use both at the same time. To migrate the AP's from the manager inteface smooth/step by step to the AP manager interface. I'm happy and give you of course best ratings, because rating is natural for me.....

Always a pleasure to work with you cisco guy's..

regards,

Sebastian

Hi,

Not a problem, if u wanna use an interface as the AP manager then it wont cause any kinda issues.. it works smooth

I have seen many ppl using this way and facing no issues..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Good monring.

Surendra is 100% correct. I would also piggy back on his comment just to throw out some information overload. When you add an AP manager keep in mind if you use HREAP or have access points on the outside you will need to open your firewall rules to allow communication to the new ap manger interface. If you dont they will break.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

nice info!! 5+

Regards
Surendra BG

Learned that the hard way ... After I did a change to my ap manager I lost all my HREAP APs and outside APs... Thanks for the points big guy!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hey Thants to you all...we already prepfared our FW I was just not sure due to the internal processing of the WLC and if my thougt will work...

have a nice weeked..

friends, just for your information.

minutes ago I prepared the enviroment. I see that I have to disable LAG for that. not very nice but for the transition time ok for me. I did it and it seems to work. I will check that tomorrow after our firewall admin change the conf too.

cheers,

Sebastian

Wait a minute ..

I was under the impression based on your question that you "weren't"using LAG? So you are using LAG? If you are then why are you adding additional AP mangers?

When in LAG you only need 1 ap maager and your are set. LAG is the better route to go and if you are using LAG then that would lead me to believe your swith is eathertchanneled.

So if you went to non lag your switch config shouldnt be set to etherchannel. In additon the 5508 doesnt do AP managers unless you config them.

My question, what are you trying to achive. LAG is the best route ..The only time people carve out ap managers is when they want to segement AP traffic or FW certain APs off.

Hi George,

I'm absolutly with you that LAG is the best way and I will use the again in future and I change my switch config to the necessary one too, of course (no etherchannel, etc..)

But in the moment I have the bad situatuion that I have to change the IP of my management interface and due to a lot of locations with local admin stuff and firewall settings I see no ways to change the DHCP or sometime maual hard coded WLC IP in one step. It would be possible but a smooth way would be "nicer"...

So my plan I started today with, is to add a second AP Manager, move the AP's step by step to the AP Manager if that is done I remove the AP Manager again and change the Management IP to the AP Manager IP and I have the situation I need.

regards,

Sebastian

Sounds like you have it under control ... good luck ...