cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CAP2702I-A-K9 Radio Module Missing???

Hello all,

I recently did a cheap(ish) upgrade to my home lab because I hadn't done anything for a while and my 2600 APs were getting a little dated. I bought a batch of 2702i's off ebay to lab with. The first AP I plugged in worked fine (with a date modification on my WLC *sigh*), and all seemed to be going well. However, 2 of the 5 APs I ordered only show one (5G) radio present (both in sh ver and in the interfaces tab of the AP from the GUI). I spent a couple hours trying to diagnose the frequency issues. They're just straight up missing the 2.4 radio, and surely that cannot be by design!? I don't think it's a WLC/Firmware/version problem (running 8.3.112.0 on a 5508, no issues ever with the WLC image), because three of the 5 I ordered worked fine. I can't even find a part number for a 2702i radio module...

Short of cracking the ones that are showing single radio interface (and effectively useless to me), is there any good diagnostic to run against these APs? I'm more R&S than wireless, but I've never run into a wireless problem like this... I'm suspecting the surplus parts vendor I ordered from sent me a batch of APs with burnt-out NIC cards, which would explain the price... is that even a thing? Is it common for these radio modules to burn out under heavy use? My used 2602s have been running hard for a year with no issues at all.

It's super late where I live (I've stayed up all night fighting with this). I'll check answers/reply in the morning.

Appreciate any help. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yes it sounds like you have bought faulty hardware.  Radios do fail sometimes.

Capture the full console log from power on and you will likely see errors when it looks for the radios.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yes it sounds like you have bought faulty hardware.  Radios do fail sometimes.

Capture the full console log from power on and you will likely see errors when it looks for the radios.

When I read the TTY.Console output it just says "Radio 1 Unavailable" for both and the entire confreg is 0'd out so... yeah just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious and there were no remedies before I go harass the reseller. Thanks for your response!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card