cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9 providing below 100mbps connection to clients

jjessetej
Level 1
Level 1

I have AP: AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9 as standalone running: ap3g2-k9w7-xx.153-3.JH and wireless clients connected to it are only reaching below 100mpbs connection speed.. The circuit is 600mbps which is what i get with wired PCs when doing a connection speed, im not expecting to reach that speed wirelessly but only speeds below 100mbps? am i missing something?

The upstream switch is: WS-C2960S-24PS-L with gigports running: 15.0(2)SE10a, i forced the port where the AP is connected to on speed 1000 and also as FULL duplex, but no changes on the speed.. i thought maybe the cable going to the AP is bad, although i didnt see anything that stands out when doing a test cable-diagnostics tdr on that interface, i plugged in the AP directly behind the switch and got the same below 100mbps speed.

Anything that i should be configuring on the AP side? or is this model not capable of providing higher than 100mbps connection speeds? i am combining the SSIDs in one - was thinking of splitting them and test the speed individually but unsure if that will make a difference, any help on this is greatly appreciated.

6 Replies 6

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are a number of factors that you need to take into account

Firstly the 3600 is a 802.11n AP so off that bat that restricts it to max of 600 Mbps throughput (theoretically)

Next is which band is the client connecting to

Is the band using 20 or 40 MHz wide

what else is using the channel, what SNR the client and AP have

and how many spatial streams is the client using.

Realistically I would plan for:

40-50 Mbps typical speed

70-80 Mbps if using 40 MHz wide channels

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hey Haydn, thanks for replying.. i logged in to the webgui and i see that both radio bands 2.4ghz and 5ghz are using 20MHZ. As far as channel noise, what tools do you recommend? i do see a bunch of SSDIs being advertised on my phone/laptop when im on site, so interference could be a factor.. in the gui i see an option called "Data Rates" with options [best range] [best throughput] [default] im assuming is using default right now.. a little bit down from there, it says is using the less congested channel: 8 2447 MHz

Gaurav  Kansal
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Jjessetej,

You may please check for channel clubbing and please increase channel width to maximum on both band. It will surely help you increase your bandwidth and speed. Please check interference on the channel your access point is using to communicate with clients and if you found interference on that channel please select different channel. Do this activity on both band.

Please share your work around.

Good Luck..

i want to troubleshoot by creating different SSIDs and select different channels, width etc.. in the webgui if i go to network > network interface >  Radio0-802.11N 2.4GHz  or Radio1-802.11N 5GHz i can make these changes, but it looks like it does it on ALL of them existing and new.. see screenshot attachedScreenshot 2023-02-06 192840.png

jjessetej
Level 1
Level 1

I set the below;

• radio0 to ch11, data rates: for best throughput
  • radio1 to ch157, data rates: for best throughput and width: above 40MHz

the above seem to have helped, now getting 160mpbs, is this the max this type of AP can provide? I have another AP in the same location, only thing I changed was the radio1 ch to 149

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yes you're unlikely to get much better than that with this old AP which is already end of support.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card