Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-OEAP602I-A-K9 Limiting Badwidth

In doing testing with the OEAP602I Access Point, I noticed that it is limiting the bandwidth over my wireless connection.  It is currently setup with a CAP/WAP tunnel to our WLC2504 to provide our Corporate Wireless network to my home, but I am also using the function of the AP to provide my personal wireless network.  I have noticed that the AP limits my bandwidth to 50 - 66% of my actual speed.  If I plug into the ports on the back of the AP I get my full bandwidth.

WLC2504 software Version is 7.6.130.0

3 Replies 3

PETER MOOREY
Level 1
Level 1

I'd check the following on the WLC:

- show client detail mac-address: 

RSSI - is coverage okay?

SNR - is the signal quality good?

Channel - which band is in use, prefer 5Ghz if supported

Current data rate - has the client negotiated a data rate capable of exceeding 60Mbit/sec

- show ap auto-rf 802.11{a/b} ap-name:  

Channel utilisation - is the airtime being used by another 802.11 station, or noise?  Typically there are a lot of other things to check, but the OAP 600 doesn't support CleanAir.

I'd not expect too much from the OAP600, particularly for corporate throughput since the AP is handling encryption in software.  Cisco suggest 10Mbit/sec would be the maximum for encrypted/encapsulated CAPWAP data.

Pete.

Does this information display for clients that are connected to the Personal Network SSID on the 602s?  I was unaware of the 10 Mbit/Sec max for the encryption tunnel.  That may cause us to rethink deploying these devices.

I've not tested that, I'd be interested to know if you get the same monitoring data for personal SSIDs.  Either way, you can usually determine the RSSI and data rates from the client, and the channel utilization data is available for the radio.

Here's the reference to 10Mbit/sec- 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-600-series-officeextend-access-point/data_sheet_c78-651456.html#_ftnref1

Hope this helps,

Pete.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card