cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1240A Securit Question

smartin
Level 1
Level 1

Setup SSID to use "Client Authenticated Key Management" using Mandatory Key Management & WPA with a WPA Pre-shared key.

Working fine using WPA but I also want to use WPA & MAC Authentication together.

When I enable "with MAC Authentication" under "Methods Accepted" under "Open Authentication" the client would authenticate.

Can I use both ?

Any help would be grateful !!

4 Replies 4

jaichauh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

WPA-PSK doesn't work with MAC authentication. This happens because MAC authentication removes the wpa-psk ascii password line from the configuration.

This is by design; Cisco development has no intention to support MAC authentication with WPA.

-Jai

JC

It seems that creating different SSID's is always out of the question becusae I can define a native VLAN on some of my order switches.

Sorry can't spell:

It seems that creating different SSID's is always out of the question because ICAN'T define a native VLAN on some of my order switches

To create different SSIDs, you need an 802.1q trunk setup on the switchport to which the access point connects. Without the capability of connecting a trunk link, you're correct to say that you cannot use multiple SSIDs.

If, however, you're using a non-Cisco switch that supports trunking, you can use multiple SSIDs and the native VLAN defaults to VLAN 1. Just keep that in mind while setting things up. My guess is that there's a way to redefine the native VLAN if needed on any switch that supports 802.1q, but you really don't need to do that to use multiple SSIDs anyway.

Not sure what this has to do with the posted topic, but that's fine :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card