Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 2700e AP console not accepting commands

Hi,

I just got a new Aironet 2700e AP and need to change it to work in autonomous mode (I already have ap3g2-k9w7-tar.default file) however I'm unable to update it mainly because:

1. After booting when getting the "ap:" prompt I'm unable to enter any command (tried putty from windows/linux, minicom, cutecom,even tried different console cables that works with other devices).

No commands are displayed and no answer even pressing "enter several times", so I'm unable to do the TFTP update as indicated by here

2. Tried to boot pressing "mode" buttom, the AP finds my TFTP server (I see the request on the server) but AP indicates error opening tftp://255.255.255.255:/ap3g2-k9w7-tar.default  

I double checked filename as it's the same.

And as console is not accepting input from keyboard and unable to interact with it.

Current putty config:

- Speed: 9600

- Data bits: 8

- Stop bits: 1

- Parity: none

- Flow XON/XOFF (tried "non" also unsuccessfully)

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks!!

1 Reply 1

I found a solution, it looks like another device connected to same PoE switch was doing some noise and AP was not able not reach the TFTP server properly and process hanged up.

Solution:

1. Connect AP and PC (TFTP server) in a switch with no other devices

2. Boot AP pressing "mode" button (around 30 seconds), to make it get the new IOS image via TFTP (ap3g2-k9w7-tar.default)

3. After image is transferred wait a few minutes (I did it just in case as no console output was displayed while TFTP was occurring) 

4. Connect the PoE switch in such a way that AP will be able to reach a DHCP server when rebooting

5. Reboot AP (no button pressed this time)

See your console output, at the end of the process AP will get an IP from your DHCP server and you'll be able to reach it via HTTP to the assigned IP (User: Cisco, Pass: Cisco)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card