cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 3502i WAPs need switched to standalone

sgtotaku
Level 1
Level 1

As the title states, I have 2 aironet 3502i WAPs that I don't have a controller for, since I got them used secondhand from a government surplus auction. Since I don't have a controller, I need the standalone firmware to make them work without one. unfortunately, I cant seem to find the firmware files via cisco's webpage as the dont even list the aironet 3500 series as an option. Am I missing something, or do I need to find the files elsewhere? and where would I go if I did?

Is switching them to standalone even worth it, considering a controller, with console and power cables, only runs about $100? or would I get enough extra capability to make the controller worth it?

I know these are old, Wireless-N units, but for my plans thats more than enough. I have tried connecting these on thier own, but the wifi is not showing up, and I haven't bought the console cable yet, since I didnt know I needed one until recently. In large part, these are for homelab and learning on, as I work on becoming an IT professional.

Thank you for your help

7 Replies 7

Hello @sgtotaku 

Those devices and probably everything from cisco is meant to be consumed by enterprises. 

" I cant seem to find the firmware files via cisco's webpage as the dont even list the aironet 3500 series as an option. "

This is true because for Enterprise there will be a sequence of buying  current device, wait for the end of life and replace to the next generation. When this happen, Cisco remove the software from download option as they will not support this version anymore.

The truth is, for home and small office , Aironet AP or Catalyst APs is not a good option. They are not friendly, they are meant to use WLC and they have this life cycle that only enterprise can afford for.

This is not what you probably wants to hear but the best option is move to a home office line and it does not need to be Cisco. Any wireless vendor out there can meet any basic wireless expectative.

with all due respect, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question, however you missed what I am intending to use these for. I am using them to learn off of. and yes, provide a more robust and reliable wifi setup for certain parts of my network, but primarily to experiment and learn off of so when I finish my education, I will have some practical knowledge going into an IT career.

I suppose it was for production as you did not mention the reason. But, unfortunatelly, this does not change much about what I said.

And get pratictical knowledge with stand alone AP will not help you much as this AP model will be in WLC when it comes to corp network.

But, it is what it is.

I had to check the downloads and yes, 3600 is the earliest they enable code for download now. so 3500 you probably won't be able to get standalone. As you stated you could get a controller, or you could get a newer AP that still has code. I believe you can get 2702s for under $50 on ebay, but you would have to see if you can download without a contract.

here is the 2700 autonomous download site:

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286256843/type/284180979/release/15.3.3-JPO

Keep in mind this is all AirOS that cisco has discontinued, but still will give a good basis for wireless.

If you need to use it for your home lab studies, here is what I suggest. You have to convert these APs to autonomous using one of below method. You require to find k9w7 image which is autonomous (may need valid support contract to directly download from Cisco.com)
1. https://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/ 
2. https://mrncciew.com/2012/10/20/lightweight-to-autonomous-conversion/ 

Once converted, you can apply a simple config like below to your AP & plug this AP to your home modem  or any DHCP enable port, then you should be good to go.

conf t
hostname CiscoAP1
!
dot11 ssid TEST-1
authentication open
authentication key-management wpa version 2
guest-mode
wpa-psk ascii <SSID_PASSWORD>
!
interface Dot11Radio0
encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm
ssid TEST-1
no shutdown
!
interface Dot11Radio1
channel width 40-above
encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm
ssid TEST-1
no shutdown
!
interface BVI1
ip address dhcp
!
end
write memory
!

HTH
Rasika
**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You can try searching for the last released IOS (autonomous) image for the 3500: ap3g1-k9w7-tar.153-3.JF15.tar

You definitely need a console cable.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card