Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet & Wireless IP Phone Symbol

lmontegut
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just want to know if anybody had already tried a solution with Aironet 350 and Symbol NetPhone, and with which result.

How was the quality of the conversation, and if the wireless IP Phone were well-managed by the CCM like H323 devices.

Thanks

14 Replies 14

beth-martin
Level 5
Level 5

We tested VoIP over wireless (with Cisco’s IP phone solution) but we’re waiting for the new code version for the 350’s that support QoS. Without it, it worked fine but we won’t be able provide SLA’s. (If someone clogs things up with say several big ftp downloads, there goes the voice quality.)

Hey Beth,

Couldn't you use a layer 3 switch like the 4224 to provide your QoS?

A wireless network is a shared medium, just like Hub are. So you cant have layer 3 QOS.

Yes, I can set the QoS on the switch. In fact, I will still have to after the new code comes out for the 350’s. It’s just that the 350 doesn’t care about QoS in it’s current state so bit set or not, quality could potentially deteriorate across the 350. Not likely in a small site scenario, but worth considering regardless.

tboynton
Level 1
Level 1

I also have looked into the Symbol Spectrum 24 Netvision Phones and have asked several people if they would work on Cisco access points. Symbol pretty much gave me the run around and said they would certainly work better on their access points. Spectralink sells their phones with Cisco access points but as far as I know they are not H323 and do not register with the CallManager. They require the purchase of a special gateway.

I would be interested in hearing any success stories with Symbols phones working with Cisco access points.

From what I have heard, Symbol just released the 802.11b NetVision phone from beta. As all Cisco APs are 802.11b, you must either get the new NetVison 802.11b phone or use Symbol 802.11 gear.

As the Symbol Product Manager for the NetVision 802.11b phone for Cisco CallManager, I would be happy to answer any product questions. I don't frequent this forum, so if I don't reply promptly, please feel free to send me questions by email:

rnedwich@sj.symbol.com

Thanks,

Rich Nedwich

Senior Product Manager

Symbol Technologies

Hello-

Spectralink's phones do work with the Cisco CallManager and their Cisco 350/340 APs. Please go to www.spectralink.com for more details.

I use Symbol and Startalink ip phones and both are Skinny devices, so can be

registered by CCM. Symbol can also be used as H323 device, H323 implementation for Stratalinks phones will available soon.

It works pretty well.

I would appreciate a chance to hear your experience with our Symbol phones running H.323 on CallManager. Could I ask you to send me an email at rnedwich@sj.symbol.com?

Thanks for using NetVision!

Cheers,

Rich Nedwich

danyel.beaudoin
Level 1
Level 1

we plan a project with wireless phone, we will use the netvision phone with aironet 350e2r. for now there's no QOS on the new IOS firmware ( as for spectralink on the version 11.08t ), but cisco plan to introduce the symbol on the next release but the end of the year.

rstrama
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have 2 versions of tyhe Symbol netvision phones running on our network with 350 ap's. One netvision phone is setup with the h323 gateway setup in callmanager. The other phones are running the skinny client from Symbol, this gives you dhcp aut registration etc.. Both variations work, but the skinny client if by far preferred from our use.

mrost
Level 1
Level 1

SpectraLink has a Qos in Aironet 350 called SVP. It is also in the Aironet 340. I have a white paper that goes over the Qos. SpectraLink has SCCP and will have H323 next few months.

rnedwich
Level 1
Level 1

Here is a reference site of Symbol NetVision phones on a Cisco backbone to a CallManager. This was featured in cConvergence Magazine not too long ago.

http://www.cconvergence.com/article/CTM20020205S0007

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card