Views
Helpful
Replies

AP-9100 issue with Windows CE

Claudio Battan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
I have this situation: Wireless Controller AIR-CT3504 with 8.10.190.0 with some old AP and some new AP 9115
The APs did joint to the controller, all clients are working except those with Windows-CE, which do not see any SSID

Any ideas/suggestions?

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the Windows-CE wireless client capable of 5.0 Ghz?

Claudio Battan
Level 1
Level 1

I think so, but I doubt that's the problem

@Claudio Battan wrote:

all clients are working except those with Windows-CE, which do not see any SSID

Windows CE cannot see the SSID?  

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Check wireless drivers. This seems to be something that hit lot of 802.11ac adapters (Intel, Realtek) some time ago when listening Wi-Fi 6 beacons.

Try disabling all dot11ax features at WLAN level and globally. If they work (and they will do it) check drivers with the vendor.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wow... Windows CE!  Well since that is old, I would at least try to create a test SSID with basic setting and open.  I would make sure that only 2.4GHz is enabled and you allow all the lower data rates.  You should compare what is on your existing wireless that its working vs. how your new controller and SSID is configured.  

Also, this was working before and on what?  What are the other AP's you have besides the 9100's?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

There are several 1852 in the network, and where there are everything works perfectly.
In a new area with 9115 the W/CE terminals do not see any SSID

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

Thant confirms my previous assumption that Windows CE terminals are unable to detect 802.11ax-ready beacons.

Disable 802.11ax network and disable 802.11ax features on the WLAN. I don't have access to latest AireOS controllers so I cannot paste here any screenshot to show you.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yep @JPavonM is right, the CE devices are ignoring the AX capable beacons from the 9115 APs resulting in them not seeing the SSID at all.

The fix should be a driver update for the client but given the age of CE that is unlikely so all your other clients will have to stick to WiFi-5 because these old devices cannot support WiFi-6 networks.

Take that as a prompt to the owners of the CE devices that they are long overdue for replacement otherwise you will never be able to use any WiFi 6 or later features.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card