cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assistance with 9800-CL deployed on VMware

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

Migrating from a vWLC running on VMware to a 9800-CL running on VMware.  I was able to use the configuration tool, then ssh to the new controller and manually carried over the applicable configuration.  I created a cert, verified a AP is able to join the new controller, but even though I have multiple SSIDs defined I'm not seeing any of them being broadcast by the test AP. All of the WLANs are created and all but 1 of them is set to broadcast.

I also noticed that even though this is a virtual, I don't have the option to change the AP mode to FlexConnect (I have a FlexConnect policy that I have called in the default policy tag). 

Is my best option to just create another site, uncheck the "Enable Local" option and then move the AP to that site in the controller and let it rejoin?  Or does it not matter what mode it's list as if the policy configuration isn't centrally switched?  As it's a virtual 9800 I thought it would be similar to the vWLC that had all FlexConnect APs.

3 Replies 3

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

Ok, so answered my own question w/ respect to the FlexConnect.  Created a new site, unchecked the setting and updated the vlan tag in the policy to be vlan 1 and I can see clients connected now.  

Quick question(hopefully): is there a command to run on the old vWLC to see any specific radio profiles associated w/ an AP or what the particular configuration for an AP would be?  The conversion tool creates the profiles but would like to match up the new profile to the AP it was associated with if possible once it migrates over.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I thought it would be similar to the vWLC that had all FlexConnect APs
That's one of the key differences with 9800-CL - it now supports Local Mode APs and central switching.

mumbles202
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks for this.  I have noticed that, and maybe this is purely coincidence, but if a new AP comes up in local mode on the new 9800 it doesn't appear to allow client connections.  If I change the site for the AP (to the one 1 created that is Flex only) and let it reboot and re-join the controller the AP begins to serve clients as expected.  I modified the default site for now to resolve the issue for APs as they're joined but wanted to see if I'm missing a configuration that would allow for local mode APs to work.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card