cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 9130axi - What's the real throughput?

datacenter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm creating a project where that building will be full wi-fi. In order to determine how many access point I need,b I'm assuming 8 Mbps per user. But, I need to know what's the throughput of this ap to finish this math.

I've already tried to find a right information in the data sheets, but I'm in doubt.

Anybody may help me?

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have not tested, they yet to deploy in our clients  environment since it was new.(testing in progress)

but i have this information below hope this help you :

image.png

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@datacenter wrote:

I'm creating a project where that building will be full wi-fi. In order to determine how many access point I need,b I'm assuming 8 Mbps per user. But, I need to know what's the throughput of this ap to finish this math.

Get a wireless site survey done professionally.  

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me also chime in. You are calculating how many aps you need by the max throughput of an access point, that is not a good idea. You should calculate using a baseline for density, number of users per ap (15-25).  Then you also need to make sure you have 5ghz coverage everywhere and enough overlap to provide good roaming and to also allow clients to choose another adjacent access point(s) depending on ap load, utilization, etc.   if you look at how wireless is deployed in various verticals, you might see an ap in every room like in education, an ap or two in every meeting room or large meeting rooms, ap in every other office or patient rooms just to give you an idea.  This is where a site survey and an engineer whom has designed and deployed wireless can help province insight on why the came up with a specific design. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Ok, you are right about the density. But this project specificaly, I'm making this by throughput.

[Aggregate Application Throughput] / [Access Point Throughput] = Number of Access Points based on throughput

I'm talking about 8-12 Mbps per client and I'm analyzing everything. I created many projects like that, but never with this kind of access point.

And my question is about the real throughput of this new ap.

Well “real” throughput has many variables. Type of client, how is the signal from client to ap, what is the snr, what is the client count on the given ap and utilization. You are trying to put a formula together for testing purposes, but would not really work in the real world.
Throughput is based on what the client and ap negotiate at, which can differ depending on the variables. CCI will impact your formula also, because it’s something that can’t really be calculated as that variable changes. So if you really want to calculate throughput, then decide on what protocol your clients will connect on and then determine what data rate along with the channel width and divide that in half. That would be your theoretical max. Also take into account your Ethernet connection if you are using gig or mgig. Take a look at some guides on mcs rates.

https://www.semfionetworks.com/blog/mcs-table-updated-with-80211ax-data-rates
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card