Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Antenna's, which is right and left.

jeff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Sounds simple, but when you specify right or left in the setup, is it facing the the front of the box, with the logo? Or as you look at the back of the AP?

And to further confuse the issue, which is right and left on the internal card? Looking at the connectors or looking at the card from the top, connectors pointing away from you?

I suspect somebody opened up one of the AP's and may have changed the antenna connections.

Thanks a million,

Jeff

4 Replies 4

amitubale
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/prodconfig/help/eag/air/ap3xx/SetHw350_Series.shm.htm

Right -- If your device has removable antennas and you install a high-gain antenna on the right connector, use this setting for both receive and transmit. When you look at the back panel, the right antenna is on the right.

Left -- If your device has removable antennas and you install a high-gain antenna on the left connector, use this setting for both receive and transmit. When you look at the back panel, the left antenna is on the left.

Thanks, should have searched a bit more, thanks, thanks, thanks. I have a AP340, will check to make sure it's the same.

How about the connectors inside the AP? Is the connector nearest to the top of the box the right or left? I suspect somebody has already opened the box and played with the connectors.

Thanks,

Jeff

What about an AP1200 5.0GZ with built in antenae? Does right, left, or diversity have any effect?

The built in antenna for 802.11a is a dual dipole when upright and a dual patch when laying flat against the ap.

The setting will effect operation but as you have dual antenna you might as well use them and leave it configured for diversity. This will help overcome multi path loss which is even higher in 802.11a than 802.11b. ( higher freq are more likely to reflect of solid objects)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card