Views
Helpful
Replies

AP group WLAN x interface mapping

mirek.tichy_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

we have a lot of WLANs and AP groups on two WiSM2. Each AP belongs to some non-default AP group. Now I would like to change default WLAN to interface mapping. But change of WLAN to interface mapping on the WLAN configuration page changes mapping in all the refferenced AP groups. Moreover there is no simply way to change it back in AP group configuration. WLAN has to be removed and aded back again.

Any idea how to change default WLAN to interface mapping without impact to running AP groups?

Thanks

Mirek

10 Replies 10

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not that I am aware of.

You could build a new group, with the updated mappings, then assign the AP to the new group.  That way you only have the one 'hit'.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

I would like to avoid such stong system impact. There are 10 WLAN, 8 AP groups, 300 APs and about 600 clients. I see this behaviour a bit strange and counter-pruductive. The purpose of the AP groups is among other to setup site-specific WLAN to interface mapping. I can't belive that a change in the default mapping destroy all other configurations.

As far as I know, changing the default interface for a wlan should change nothing other than the default-group.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen or heard of anyone else impacted by the behavior you are saying is happening.  As far as I'm concerned, the wlan interface mapping should NOT alter any non-default AP-group and if you are seeing that behavior then it is a bug.

So what code are you seeing this behavior in? TAC case?

Your talking about local mode ap's correct, not h-reap mode ap's?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

mirek.tichy_2
Level 1
Level 1

For the first time I have noticed it in my custommer's system - WiSM2 7.0.220, WCS 7.0.220. All AP in a local mode. Then I made some tests in my lab - WLC2106 7.0.220, WCS 7.0.220. The same issue. But I have tried the change several times and NOT EVERY change of default interface mapping changed refferenced AP groups mapping.

I must perform another tests tomorow. I'll try different version SW version and maybe place a TAC case.

I tested it out today on a 2106 and a 2504 and I know from the past, that i have only had it affect the default-group interface mapping and not any of my AP Group mappings.

-Scott

So I can't understand it. I performed another tests just now.

New clear 2504 running 7.0.116 (different version than last test). No WCS, worked on the WLC GUI.

Three dynamic interface

vlan144 - x.x.x.146/28

vlan160 - x.x.x.162/28

blackhole - 192.168.1.2/24

WLAN test-1 mapped to vlan144

Theree APs in two AP groups, both of the groups has the same WLAN to interface mapping. The only difference is in the member APs.

When I change the interface mapping on the WLAN the same change appeared in both of the AP groups. I tried it several times to change it to vlan160/back vlan144/blackhole/back vlan144/vlan160.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've tested yesterday with a 2504 running 7.2.103.0 and a 2106 running 7.0.230.0. I have about 5 dynamic interface and a black-hole interface to. My 3 AP groups don't change the mapping at all except for the default group. Are you specifying a WLAN ID number on your wlan's or using default 1,2,etc?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

OK I can try the 7.2 code now. I have only the 2106 and got the 2504 just now. Many thanks. I must do something else now I'll try it in evening.

Well I can answer to myself. I made a TAC case and found that is a documented SW limitation.

see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.2/configuration/guide/cg_wlan.html#wp1587233

There are two different possibilities:

Suppose that the interface  mapping for a WLAN in the AP group table is the same as the WLAN  interface. If the WLAN interface is changed, the interface mapping for  the WLAN in the AP group table also changes to the new WLAN interface.

Suppose that the interface mapping for a WLAN in the AP group table is  different from the one defined for the WLAN. If the WLAN interface is  changed, then the interface mapping for the WLAN in the AP group table  does not change to the new WLAN interface.

Thanks at all and good luck!

MiTi

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card