Views
Helpful
Replies

AP installation in a moving crane

wirelessman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, WiFI experts!!!

I have been tasked to do a wireless installation for a very harsh factory environment with huge metal bins and crane moving laterally.

Is it possible to have an access point, pointing downwards, attached to the crane?

The point of having this AP on a moving crane is... when this crane passes by the wall mounted AP's, the signal will be disrupted/blocked by the crane itself. so, to ensure wireless connectivity, I was thinking of placing an AP under the crane so wherever it blocks the signal, there will still be coverage.

Please see the following link on how the crane moves and looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0HqEyBIKoM

Is this possible with the 1552 AP?

thanks!

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is tough... What you have to look at is your solution seems to be an answer, but what happens when clients that are connected to the AP and then the signal gets blocked. Client devices should roam but that is up to the client. Why not test that with a regular access point and not a mesh AP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

You can put an AP pointing downwards, attached to the crane but I don't think that it will resolve your problem. When client moves form one AP to others proper hand off must be done in your scenario it is not possible we have to search another way around. Really very tuff scenario.

Shaoqin Li
Level 3
Level 3

one stable side local mode and the moving side wgb mode will be a good choice

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card