cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Join profile>management> user configuration fail when set aes encryption. it can success when set clear. AES is not working? is it a bug or configuration issue.

yaoszhan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

AP Join profile>management> user configuration fail when set aes encryption. it can success when set clear. AES is not working? is it a bug or configuration issue.

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 10.49.39.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-09 at 10.49.49.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need to enter the information in clear text, not with AES. Then if you issue a show run and the password is in clear text, you need to run this command:

key config-key password-encrypt encryption aes
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You set it unencrypted when you apply it. If you have enabled encryption, it will be encrypted after you applied it.
-Scott

FYI:

If password encryption was enabled on the original configuration, all keys and passwords would have to be reconfigured. Once the keys/passwords are reconfigured enable password encryption back again. The command is below:
key config-key password-encrypt password encryption aes”
-Scott

I think this management user is for login AP by SSH or Telnet. when we set up the user in AP Join profile, the AP will download the configuration of AP Join profile. The user account will be used to login the AP. as follow: 0 is clear, 8 is AES encryption, but look like it is not support the aes encryption.

C9840-2(config-ap-profile)#mgmtuser username anz1 password 8 anz123456 secret 8 anz123456
% Password encryption failed

This is returning error because that command is expecting the password hash with AES encryption and not the clear text.

As Scott has told a few post above, you must set the password in clear text, and then it can be encrypted using that command.

HTH
-Jesus
*** Please Rate Helpful Responses ***

Could you help to show me configuration on this? I have tried to generate a username with clear password, but I still can’t encrypt it by aes.

You need to enter the information in clear text, not with AES. Then if you issue a show run and the password is in clear text, you need to run this command:

key config-key password-encrypt encryption aes
-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card