Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Flex Connect

hs08
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello,

When we use Flex Connect, what happen with the AP when the controller goes down? Is the AP can serve the client? Will client will disassociate  when move across AP?

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- AP can still server the client , clients can roam and or will not dissociate ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

hello @marce1000 

My understanding is we still need controller to make client roaming seamlessly because the authentication will occur on each AP and not centralize in the controller. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

In Cisco, APs have cached credentials but as authentication is central, the roaming depend on the WLC. If authentication would be "local", the AP will be the authenticator to talk to the RADIUS servers, but in a WAN down scenario that might not work.

Here you will find all scenarios for Flexconnect APs, it is for AireOS but if Cisco has not added a specific one for IOSXE it is becuase the scenarios are the same ones:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/112042-technote-wlc-00.html

Currently we not use Radius for the authentication, just using WPA2-PSK. Two question that i have :

• If controller down then the AP is rebooted, will the AP operate normally?
  • If controller down, will client disassociate for a few second if move/roam across AP for  reauthenticate?

Hi @hs08 - refer to the document @JPavonM linked for a comprehensive feature matrix.

It all depends how the WLAN (SSID) is configured.  If it is configured for local switching and authentication then it can operate more or less independently of the WLC.  There is always going to be brief disruption when roaming - that's what the roaming assist features are for but they are not all supported for local authentication.  Refer to the config guide for your WLC and code version for more details on each feature.
- What model of WLC are you using?
- What version of software are you using?

RxTx
Level 1
Level 1

From my work experience with vWLC sw 8.10.196.0 and AP 2702 and 3702 with wifi using WPA2-PSK, all AP and vWLC are in LAN, and enabled:

FlexConnect Local Switching

FlexConnect Local Auth

Learn Client IP Address

Flexconnect Arp-Cache

when vWLC it is unavailable:

- I can see brief wifi clients re-associate to AP (disconnection/connection), this are fixed clients, IoT devices on N network running Tasmota where I can see in client console what it is happen.

- New wifi client can connect to AP without problem and can move from one AP to another without problem.

when vWLC it is available and AP reconnect to wlc again I can see all wifi client re-associate to AP (disconnection/connection) and this can be a problem.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card