cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP load balancing question

LF007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, is it possible to enable load balancing for a particular group of APs and disabled for the rest. Perhaps AP groups. Running 8500 WLC with 3600 series APs. It will enhance the service concurrent user capacities for areas with a high device count.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope and I wouldn't recommend that feature. It cause soooooo many client issues when you around 12 clients associating to a given AP. If you have high density then as long as you are running v7.2, you have RF Profiles. These profiles are defined per AP Group if you want. On the RF Policies I would tweak the data rates depending on how the coverage is when looking at a post site survey. Knowing the power and the coverage pattern allows one to disable rates, set various rates as support and or mandatory. This is how you can reduce the cell size and have better client balancing that to enable client load balancing. Also tweaking the RRM is required too.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Load balancing isn't good at all...... I would not use that at all, heck I wish they removed that feature to be honest.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope and I wouldn't recommend that feature. It cause soooooo many client issues when you around 12 clients associating to a given AP. If you have high density then as long as you are running v7.2, you have RF Profiles. These profiles are defined per AP Group if you want. On the RF Policies I would tweak the data rates depending on how the coverage is when looking at a post site survey. Knowing the power and the coverage pattern allows one to disable rates, set various rates as support and or mandatory. This is how you can reduce the cell size and have better client balancing that to enable client load balancing. Also tweaking the RRM is required too.

-Scott

LF007
Level 1
Level 1

Cool thanks, RF profiles associated to AP groups sounds interesting. Load balancing is OK for static environments, it becomes a pain for roaming clients though.

Load balancing isn't good at all...... I would not use that at all, heck I wish they removed that feature to be honest.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Scott,

Great advice as usual buddy! +5 for your ongoing support here

Cheers!

Rob

"Talk about a dream
Try to make it real" 

- Springsteen