Views
Helpful
Replies

AP lost tag information when fallback to secondary wlc 9800

vishwash
Level 1
Level 1

AP lost tag information when fallback to secondary wlc 9800

primary wlc 9800 to secondary 9800 AP lost tag information and fallback to default tag

what need to enable the setting

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-6/config-guide/b_wl_17_6_cg/m_ap_tag_persistency.html#config-ap-tag-persistence-on-the-controller

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

*i have already enable  that feature but still the same behavior ..i have 17.9.3  version with AWS hosted WLC 9800 in flexconnect mode AP 

- Note the beginning of the mentioned paragraph :
   For an AP to preserve its policy tag, site tag, and RF tag configured from the primary controller, these tags must also exist on the other controllers that the AP connect to. If all the three tags do not exist, the AP applies the default policy tag, site tag, and RF tag. Similarly, the tag policy is applicable even if one or two tags exist. AP tag persistency helps in priming an AP in N+1 redundancy scenarios. For more information about configuring tags, see https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-6/config-guide/b_wl_17_6_cg/m_config_model.html.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

i have  same tag defined on both wlc and as well its N+1 ..i have enabled the feature of ap tag persistency enable on both wlc ..dont able to recoginzed when move from one wlc to other ...

one thing i notice the sh ap tag summary command , the source type is showing (Static) while as per cisco it should show source tyoe as (AP ) when fallback to other wlc 

>..., the source type is showing (Static) 
    Ref :   https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-6/config-guide/b_wl_17_6_cg/m_ap_tag_persistency.pdf
         >....If the Tag Source displays Static or Filter, it means that the AP tag mappings were configured on the primary
controller. If the source displays Default, it means that the AP received the default tags when joining the
controller.

M.

sorry Marce , its my typo error .about tag AP,static term 

can you help to idnetify what could be other issue why tag removed whenever failover happened ..

even after enable the feature (( ap tag prestience ))

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what code running ? is this only TAG information all other configuration ok ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

it is 17.9.3 ..yeah i can see tag information is lost but hostname is still exist when switchover from one 9800 wlc to another wlc ..17.9.3 with AWS hosted WLC 9800 in flexconnect mode AP 

never seen that issue, may be bug, why not work with Cisco TAC ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- There are also some additional hints in this thread which you may want to review :
                        https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/9800-ha-n-1-retaining-ap-tags/td-p/4954251

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card