cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Unable to Join Controller - Invalid License in configuration request

jasonrule
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed a new second WLC 2500.  In an attempt to join an AP 2700 to the new WLC I configured the primary controller in Wireless > [The AP] > High Availability tab.  After doing this the AP lost connection to both the new and old WLC.  I then did a factory reset using the Mode button.  Now the AP cannot join the controller.  I keep getting the Invalid License in configuration request error.  I have reset the AP to factory settings multiple times but cannot get it to join the WLC.  I have searched and searched for a solution but cannot find one.  Please help!

26 Replies 26

See if you configure the country code right on your WLC , also check if that got  correct time set up

HTH

Rasika

These are both correct.  Thank you.

This error: "The error on 10.70.1.x is: Regulatory domain in configuration request is invalid" means that your AP is for another country/continent compared to what you have configured on the WLC.
For example an -E- AP, requires you to have a European country selected. An -A- or -B- one require you to have an American Country selected in the options on the WLC.

One more thing, your AP on the first page is a universal country (-UX ) one. Those you need to "prime" first, have a look at the manual:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/ux-ap/guide/uxap-mobapp-g.html

If the AP has been reset and there are other APs working on the network then shouldn't the AP automatically get the Country Code?

Also, the error I'm getting now is different. It is: Discarding LWAPP Discovery Request from AP Since entry exists in CAPWAP

How do I clear that entry?

Thank you!

I never worked with an UX model, I don't know.

That second error message could also be, because the AP first tries one protocol, then the second.
Not sure if you are hitting a bug, you are still running 8.1.102.0?

The AP is running 8.0.115.0.

The WLC is important. If the AP detects an older software while booting and trying to connect, he will first upgrade to the same version as the WLC.

If you still run 8.1.x, upgrade the WLC to 8.2.170.0 first.

Could this be my problem?

Our current WLC on the 10.5.1.x subnet is version 8.1.102.0

The new WLC I installed (that none of the APs can join) on the 10.70.1.x subnet is version 7.6.120.0.

The AP version is 8.0.115.0.

Is an AP unable to join a WLC with an older version?

That is your problem. I'm pretty sure the 2700 AP is supported starting 8.0 or even 8.1.
So yeah, upgrade both of them to the current stake release 8.2.170.0 (check the release notes if all your AP models are supported by it).

Thank's for all the help.  I will update the WLC software and see if the APs can join the new controller.

Interestingly, I was able to get APs back on the first controller.  After resetting them they would not join.  They finally joined, but I don't know why for sure.  After forcing the APs to try to join the new second controller (DHCP option 43) which they could not join, I switched back (DHCP option 43) to the old first controller and they joined it. 

kmgchem01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The issue you are having is that you are trying to join a controller that is in a different country and your country where your access point is joining from is not listed. Go to wireless tab > country and check the country the access point is joining from but you will first need to disable 802.11a and 802.11b before selecting your country and then apply and you should be good to go.

Thanks,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card