cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1200 as Root Bridge: Accept wireless clients or not?

richardhartman
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco's docs precisely contradict themselves on this topic. In some places they state clearly that configuring an AP1200 as a root bridge means it will NOT accept connections from normal wireless clients. In other places they state just as clearly that in root bridge mode an AP1200 WILL accept connections from both non-root bridges and normal wireless clients.

Which is correct?

2 Replies 2

talmadari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Well it depends in which mode you have selected the bridge to work:

1. Root bridge

2. Non-root Bridge

3. Root bridge with clients

4. Non-root Bridge with clients

it is clearly that you must select root for one side and non-root for the other side, if it is with clients or not it's your choice.

Cheers,

MT

Yes, I discovered that after setting up several units and running some experiments. At first all I saw were the options offered in the "express setup" area. The root-bridge choice there says nothing about wireless clients, and the help screen it invokes says it won't work. But on the radio interface config screen the option you mention is offered and ITS help screen notes wireless clients will be accepted (as its name implies).

The telnet interface offers all the options as well.

I can confirm that it does work: In root-bridge with wireless client mode the unit will accept associations from non-root bridges, other AP1230's in WGB mode, and even non-Cisco clients.

The testing continues... thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card